Chapter 13: Family Drama

The news they had gotten from Jace and Clary were quite shocking. Learning that an Angel was on Earth, and captured by Valentine was nothing short of surprising. Fortunately, the duo had freed Ithuriel. 

Viviana was now watching a video from the night before, beside Alec. He paused the footage and pointed at a flicker of light. "There. They said that was the Angel."

"It could have been a shooting star." Isabelle excused with a shrug.

But the Spanish Shadowhunter wasn't so sure. "It was heading towards the heavens, from the ground."

The oldest Lightwood seemingly agreed with her, and expressed his disbelief towards his sister. "Are you saying you don't believe Jace and Clary? I thought you'd be impressed."

"I'm not saying I don't believe them." She denied quickly, deciding that she just had to be the voice of reason. Their story seemed rather far fetched, given their Shadow World history. "It's just that no one's seen an Angel in hundreds of years."

At that moment, a young boy rushed up to them. It was clear that the Lightwood siblings recognized him. "Hey, you guys."

"Hey, buddy. How are you doing?" Alec smiled very widely as Viviana tried to wonder who this boy was. 

Her questions would be answered as soon as Isabelle spoke his name. "Max! I missed you so much!" She gave him a tight hug. "You look so handsome. What are you doing here?"

As if meeting one new family member from her boyfriend's family wasn't enough, Maryse Lightwood walked in as well. "Alec. Isabelle. It's good to see you both. And you must be Viviana Oleastro. Its nice to meet you."

Before she could respond with anything but a polite smile, Isabelle turned to her mother with a frown. "Really?"

Alec knew a fight was about to unleash between the mother-daughter duo. "Izzy–"

"'Cause last time you were here, you turned your back on all of us. Especially Jace."

"I was following orders. I had no choice." Maryse tried to defend herself. However, seeing that she would get nowhere with Isabelle, she changed the subject. "Max has some big news. Tell them, sweetheart."

Straightening up to make himself seem taller, or older, Max made his announcement. "I passed my last trial. I'm ready for my Rune Ceremony."

"Congratulations."

"That is wonderful." Viviana spoke for the first time, still feeling a bit awkward at this unusual introduction. 

No one seemed to notice her discomfort, however. Isabelle continued to tease her baby brother. "So you finally perfected your roundhouse kick?"

He nodded with excitement, possibly threatening his head from flying across the room as how strong he was shaking it. "Yeah, and I knocked out two different instructors."

And that's when Maryse made her request, or order, really. "Sadly, your father won't be able to attend. So, Alec, as the eldest male in the family, you will be in charge of Max's ceremonial party."

With his eyebrows furrowed, Alec's voice raised. This was an important day- a once in a lifetime moment for Max. Their father shouldn't miss it. "What do you mean he won't be here?"

"He's tied up with the Valentine task force in Idris."

"That is unfortunate." Viviana voiced out towards Max, whom shrugged. 

However, the Lightwood girl just found another reason to protest to her parents. Not that it wasn't justified. "I can't believe Dad would miss this."

"He doesn't have a choice." Maryse reminded them. "We're all on high alert, especially after what that demon did to both of you... and Jocelyn."