Well-Deserved Rest and A Fool's Crime

WARNING: This chapter contains a semi-mature scene. It will be marked with a line of bold, capital X's at the start and finish. Skip it if you wish.

After Cassandra's bold declaration, each Court member excitedly vowed to be with her every step of the way. This had made the Once and Future King smile and give them each a quick peck on the lips (cheek in Grim and Griffin's case).

With that out of the way, the Court made their way back to the mirror chamber, careful not to wake the sleeping portraits as they walked (Cassandra hadn't really noticed them during the day, too busy with school and errands. She wasn't all that surprised to discover another Hogwarts parallel).

Bidding Ace and Deuce goodnight with quick kisses on the lips, the two returned to the Heartslabyul dorm. The unnamed dorm members followed their example, returning to their dormitory.

The door creaked open. Cassandra felt around for the lightswitch and flipped it, turning on the large black metal chandelier over the living room. Yellow light filled the mudroom as everyone filed in. Most went up to their rooms without a word, and some (Shorter), just couldn't be bothered and flopped onto the couch, falling asleep as soon as his head hit the cushions. Cassandra laughed and rolled her eyes.

Ash was the only one that remained, due to having taken the soulmate and Excalibur books from Cassandra halfway to the dorm. He sat them down on the coffee table, beside several large, leather bound tomes and a familiar wooden box that both weren't there when they left that morning.

"It seems Sebek did as I asked.", Cassandra observed, glad to have all her research material in one place. Ash raised an eyebrow but nodded in agreement.

"Well, mostly; didn't you ask them to be put in your room?", he said. Cassandra blinked as she remembered.

"So I did. My mind must be playing tricks on me.", she said with a frown, bringing her hand to her head. Ash smiled softly and placed his hand over her own.

"You're just tired. C'mon, I'll take you to bed.", he said. Cassandra was about to ask what he meant she was suddenly swept up into the blonde's arms. Cassandra gasped, surprised by movement.

"Ash!", she whisper yelled, wondering just what had gotten into him. The fledgling only gave her a slight laugh and that damned roguish grin.

"You do so much for me and others. You take the reins so often, taking all the burden onto yourself; let me do the same for you, just for tonight.", Ash said, his smile turning soft and eyes pleading. Cassandra bit her lip. On the one hand, she would be leaving her comfort zone of being used to being in control. On the other hand, it might be nice to be taken care of for a change, and the cute look on the man's face made him look less like a ferocious lynx and more like an adorable kitten.

After a moment of consideration, Cassandra sighed in resignation.

"Alright, but I-", she didn't get to finish, because soon Ash had startled her once more by quickly climbing up the stairs with her in his arms.

"Wait, my things!", the tribrid called out, careful not to actually yell as she normally would. Ash had left Excalibur and her other effects on the coffee table. Ash only shrugged.

"You can get them tomorrow, it's not like they're going anywhere.", he said, and Cassandra relented with a huff.

The two soon arrived at Cassandra's bedroom door. Opening it, Ash took a minute to marvel at the room before he walked over to the bed and grinned down at his lover mischievously. Cassandra looked at him suspiciously.

"What are you-ahh?!", she attempted to ask, because halfway through her question. Ash had gently thrown her onto the bed, eliciting a quiet sound of surprise from her. Ash climbed onto the bed beside her and looked at her with a playful frown.