twelve

we walked into the house and he led me into his room, shutting and locking the door.

"so," i started.

"so." he responded.

"well, what did you want to talk about?" i asked him.

"earlier, obviously. i-" he was cut off by his phone starting to ring. "shit, i have to take this." he looked at me with sorrow in his eyes and stepped out of the room.

a few minutes later, he came back into the room. he looked a bit annoyed. "i'm really sorry, i have to go to a meeting real quick. i didn't know about it til now. please stay here, you can hang out in here or in the living room and we can talk when i get back. it shouldn't take too long."

"okay, yeah i'll wait." i smiled softly. truth is, i don't know if i can survive waiting any longer. i just wanted the nervousness to go away and for us to be able to get the talk out of the way. but if i had to wait, i guess i would.

i followed him downstairs and sat on the couch after saying goodbye to him. i didn't have anything else to do really so i pulled out my phone and started scrolling through social media.

after a few minutes, i felt someone plop on the couch right next to me. i looked over to see gavi.

"hey." he said.

"what's up?"

"i was just looking for pedri. do you know where he's at?"

"he had to go to a meeting. he said he should be back soon though."

"oh, okay." he said, but didn't move.

"did you need something else?" i asked him after another minute of him sitting there.

"no."

"okay then." i said and turned my attention back to my phone.

"can i ask you a question?"

"if i can ask you one after." i turned off my phone and placed it in my lap. i turned a little bit and pulled my legs up to my chest, giving gavi my full attention.

"okay, deal." he put his hand out to mine, grabbing hold of it and shaking to seal the deal.

"shoot."

"are you and pedri, you know, a thing?" he frowned a little bit.

"no, i don't think. why?"

"well, i did walk in on you guys earlier."

"oh, right. i'm really sorry about that by the way."

"yeah. i was just not expecting to walk into that." he said, causing me to laugh a little. "okay, your turn. ask your question."

"why do you hate me?"

"i don't." he leaned his head against the back of the couch. "not even close." he murmured so that i could barely make out the words.

"it seems like it." i shrugged, remembering all the dirty looks and how many times he rolled his eyes.

"there's just a lot you don't know."

"what do you mean?"

"i can't say."

"yes you can. what don't i know?"

"i can't julia." he looked me in my eyes, frowning a bit again.

"why not?"

"because. maybe someday but not today."

"i'm holding you to that. you can't just say that to someone." i crossed my arms.

"i just did." he smiled, making me laugh again.