26

VALERI

Headache wakes me up the next morning. I open my eyes and am met with my room. I look through the window and see sun shining on the bright blue sky.

I immediately draw the curtains and lie back down.

Sudden memories from yesterday flood my mind and I bury my face in the pillow.

It can't get any worse, can it?

I sigh and close my eyes.

~~~

A few hours later I finally convince myself to get out of bed. I change my clothes and wash my face.

After that, I decide to go downstairs and eat something. I walk down the stairs and enter the kitchen.

I freeze at the sight. They all go quiet.

Fuck. Everybody's here. How could Alex invite them here, knowing what happened yesterday?

I look at the floor and move to the counter and make myself breakfast. They continue their conversation but I can feel their eyes on my back.

I fucked up so bad. I should've told them the truth the day it happened.

But there's no going back now, so I just continue doing myself breakfast.

"How are you, Valeri?" I hear Madelin behind me.

Is she serious or just joking around making fun if me?

"Fine." I quietly say turned away from them. "You?"

"I'm great, thank you." I hear her say.

Although I don't want to, I turn around to look at them.

I see wary expressions on all of their faces. My eyes land on Zach, but he doesn't look at me.

"Thanks for picking me up last night." I say to Madelin.

"I did it for Alex." That hurt, but I can't say I expected them to act like they did before.

"I know." I say. I don't want her to feel like she won.

"Good to know."

I shrug with my shoulders and pour myself some water.

"Was it Ryan?"

I choke on it. "What?"

"Enough, Madelin." I hear my brother warn her. How the fuck do they know anything about Ryan?

"No." I say coldly but I see they don't buy it.

"It doesn't matter, Madelin. It's done." Lach says.

I leave the glass on the counter and exit the kitchen, leaving their voices and judgy looks behind.

What was I expecting?

I should've told them the truth.

But I can't. No one can know about it. Just today and tomorrow and everything is going to go back to normal.