CHAPTER 18

June 30th 2021
Wednesday

New York, USA

Madeleine & Amaya's Penthouse

7pm

Madeleine's POV

It's been a little over 3 weeks since Lorenzo admitted to me that he was a mafia leader.

That day I just freaked out.

Work has been really weird, he's at the office 50/50 but it feels so strange whenever I see him.

Lately, I've been staying in my old penthouse that I share with Amaya.

I also went off birth control 2 weeks ago as I realised that it was causing me weight gain and mood changes.

My brother and his ex asked me to babysit their little girl as the two of them will be attending something.

They were currently in search of a new babysitter since they came back to Gabriella's (Toyin's mum) house and caught the babysitter in her wine cellar, extremely drunk from tequila.

How irresponsible. Especially when your job is to look after a child.

Toyin had finished eating dinner and was watching Barbie on the TV. All her focus was on the show. If I started screaming I doubt that she would realise.

Amaya had been upstairs for the past half an hour.

My phone started ringing as I scrolled through TikTok on the couch.

Lorenzo. Again.

I decided to answer and see what he had to say.

"Hello?" I asked.

*flashback*

Lorenzo's POV

"Yes, I'm the Don" I told her. I should have let her know sooner. She still hasn't said anything.

"Say something" I tried to hold her hands but she flinched. This is what I didn't want to happen.

"I'm never going to hurt you Madeleine or let someone else hurt you, ever. Of course I would have told you this but I was just scared of how you would react. I don't kill innocent people and you wouldn't have to be part of it" I tried to reassure her.

"Unlock the door please" I sighed and did as she asked. She got up from the bed and walked out.

"Where are you going?" I followed after her and it appeared to me that she was going in the direction of her room. Before I could go in she shut and locked her door.

It seemed like forever until she finally opened the door again. With a suitcase.

Is she leaving?