000 | prologue

EDITED

THE SUN BEAT DOWN on her face through her bedroom window

THE SUN BEAT DOWN on her face through her bedroom window. The few trees in front of it allowed her a little bit of relief from the Californian summer sun, but that relief very quickly proved to not be enough. She shoved her face into her pillow and groaned.

She had no after-school activities since there was no school, her cheer camps wouldn't start for another month, and she was positively bored. She just wanted something to spice up her life.

Begrudgingly, she got out of bed and went down to the kitchen. She looked like she got hit by a bus, and honestly, she kind of felt that way, too.

She got plenty of rest, going to sleep around 9, but she still felt drained.

"Good morning, sweetheart," her mom said while tying her dad's tie just as he was about to leave for work.

"What time is it?" Aneliese asked, yawning. She assumed it would be later in the day because the sun was shining.

"Around 8. You're not too late, but it would be nice if you'd wake up earlier on the weekends." Her father nodded in agreement before stepping out of their nice house and into his car to go to work.

Her dad worked as a pharmacist at their family pharmacy, so her family could afford a house on the nicer side of town, and her mom didn't have to work. Their family was more of the traditional type.

"Sorry. I don't know why I was so tired." Her mother placed a kiss on her forehead. "It's alright, just don't do it next time."

Ane pulled out a box of cereal from the pantry and poured herself a bowl, sitting at the kitchen table while she watched her mom start on the dishes from yesterday. She loved her parents and knew that they loved her too, but sometimes all the expectations drove her crazy.

"Is it okay if I go and meet Matthew today?" Ane drank the last drop of milk from her cereal before asking her mom that question. Without looking up from the dishes, she replied, "Of course. You're always allowed around Matthew."

Without another word, she got up from the table and went back to her bedroom to put on some clothes. Matthew was her current boyfriend of around 3 years. They met back in freshman year and have been dating ever since.

Her parents really loved Matthew. They thought he was responsible, driven, mature, and a positive influence on her life.

She pulled out a random outfit, not thinking too much about her appearance at the moment, shoved her car keys in her pocket, and jetted out the door. Sometimes her house felt suffocating.

She quickly jumped in the car and got on the road.

As she was driving, she drove past a group of boys around her age who were riding skateboards in the courthouse. She was used to seeing a lot of bums and skaters there, but this time it was only the boys.

One of them had long, curly blonde hair and a beanie. The others didn't stand out too much to her.

She wrote them off as random troublemakers and continued on her way to her boyfriend's house.

When she pulled up, she noticed his car in the driveway. So he's home, she thought to herself. She didn't bother to call before coming because they were close enough that it wasn't necessary.

Besides, she's come over unannounced plenty of times.

She walked up to the door but as she went to knock she noticed that it was open. Slowly, she pushed it open and went inside.

Immediately, she noticed that it seemed like no one was there, not even his parents. She thought it was weird but shrugged it off, opting to head to his room instead of worrying about it.

As she got closer and closer to his room, she heard light groans leaking through the crack in his door. She knew he was a boy, and that both boys and girls had urges, so she wrote it off as him just, uh, taking care of himself. But her footsteps stopped when she heard lighter, more feminine groans accompanying his.

No way. There's actually no way.

A million thoughts raced through her mind. Was he cheating on me? With who? Why? I thought we were going well. What will happen when I open this door and catch him? What next? -

She put her hand on the knob and slammed the door open.

There, she saw his naked ass on top of a girl who she slowly recognized as Angela, one of the girls who always hung around Naomi's friend Estee. Angela was the complete opposite of her and hung around a completely different crowd, so to see her with her boyfriend was a shock.

"Oh my god," Ane said as the couple darted to cover themselves up. She didn't really know what she was feeling at that moment. Her hand went to cover her mouth.

"Wait, wait, Ane." Matthew went to stand up from the bed, grabbing nothing but his shirt that was thrown haphazardly on the floor to cover his bits, walking over to Ane and attempting to grab her shoulder.

"No." She said, quietly at first, "No! No, don't touch me." She backed away, her back hitting the wall of the hallway. "You're cheating on me."

"Babe, I swear, it's really not what it looks like. I wouldn't ever-"

"You think I'm stupid? You're butt-naked with another butt-naked girl in your bed. I HEARD you! I SAW you!" Admittedly, she was fuming. How dare he try to play her for a fool? Her attention shifted to the girl, Angela, who was sitting on the bed, trying her best to cover herself too.

Everyone knew about her and Matthew. They were homecoming court for three years, won prom king and queen at the Junior prom, and had been so public that it was basically common knowledge that they were together.

Everyone knew, and yet here she was, in bed with her boyfriend.

"I actually can't believe this. I actually can't!" Ane began to stomp out of the house, being stopped by a half-dressed Matthew at his door.

He reached out to try to touch her again, but she shoved his grasp off of her and got into her car after slamming its door.

"Anneliese. Anneliese, come on, I can explain. I really, really can explain!" He stuck his head through the window before she got a chance to roll it up. Still, she turned her car on and put it in reverse. "Get away from my car, Matthew. Get away from me."

She reversed a little bit with his head still in the car to show him that she was serious. He moved back a little bit, and she took that as an opportunity to get out of there.

She didn't want to go home after that. Breaking the news to her parents wouldn't make her feel any better, but she definitely knew who would.

Naomi.

TYSM FOR CHECKING OUT THIS STORY!!! i'm literally writing this just for fun so sorry if it's not like Shakespeare level literature lmao. just wanna put out a warning that this story is probably gonna be hella toxic and infuriating and you definitely should NOT do anything that Ane does because it probably won't be good for you okay bye!! also don't be a silent reader that kind of sucks :((((