011 | corny

ESTEE TOOK A drag of her cigarette, her eyes following one of the many skaters darting all around them.

After getting yelled at by the guard, they all went to the courthouse to skate somewhere where they were less likely to get chewed out. The risk was still there, though. Skating at the courthouse was illegal.

Ane stood on a wall with the only other girls who were there, watching too. She would have skated with the rest, but she hadn't anticipated Naomi being there, too. She would rather spend time with her best friend for a little while.

Also, there were so many experienced skaters there that she was a little intimidated. She didn't want to fall and bust her ass in front of so many people.

So, instead, she was just chatting with Naomi and casually listening in to the conversation being had between Estee and her friends, chiming in here and there.

That's all there was to it.

Until they brought up Fuckshit, of course.

"Hey, Ane, how've you been? I haven't seen you since my party," Estee said, motioning to pass Ane the cigarette. Ane shook her head.

"Good." Ane smiled, only slightly uncomfortable with all the sudden attention. Maybe something was weird with her, but her response prompted a quick side glance between Estee and Angela, almost so fast that she didn't catch it.

Admittedly, she was still angry at Angela for cheating with Matthew all those months ago. Sure, she realized that she never had any real feelings for the boy, but the action in itself was snakey. She already didn't like where this conversation was heading.

"And you?" Ane said, trying not to be rude. Estee smiled at that and replied with a pleasantry of her own, but there was still something unsaid that was stinking up the air around them.

"So, is it true that Fuckshit fucks like shit?" She asked. Despite the sudden question, Ane didn't detect any malice in her voice when she asked. It didn't mean she trusted her anymore.

Naomi cringed beside her. "Oh my god," she said, turning towards Ane, "you do not have to answer that if you don't want to. She's just being Estee right now."

Ane laughed a little bit. "No, it's fine," she said. "I really wouldn't know. I haven't done anything with him. We're just..." she paused. She wasn't sure what they were. The last time she asked him, it ended in an argument and them not speaking for days.

She couldn't say they were just friends. They shared too much, and did too much, to be friends. You don't kiss your friends. Or at least, she didn't.

But she also couldn't say they were dating. They never really discussed that, and it would be unfair to put a label on anything without talking to him first. Besides, she didn't want to assume anything and get hurt.