001 | geek

NOT PROOF READ

ONCE SHE GOT TO Naomi's house, she stayed there for the majority of the day

ONCE SHE GOT TO Naomi's house, she stayed there for the majority of the day. They didn't really do anything but drive around and go to the corner store for some snacks. Other than that, they talked about the random, usual stuff, but nothing on the subject of Matthew. Not yet.

Anneliese didn't know if she felt ready to tell her that her boyfriend of three years was cheating on her. It wasn't that she was just that distraught; she just was afraid she'd be disappointed.

And what would her parents say about it? Matthew was basically already their son-in-law. She could only imagine the things they would have to say and the things she would have to hear.

Eventually, the pair of girls found themselves in Naomi's bedroom. Her parents were out on their anniversary trip and wouldn't be back for another week, so it was just them in the house. Ane already called her parents from Naomi's house phone and made sure it was okay that she spent the night there.

The conversation was starting to stall, so Ane thought it was the perfect time to break the news. Everyone would have to find out eventually.

"Look, Naomi, I have something to tell you." Naomi stopped what she was doing and looked at the girl, tucking a piece of her hair behind her ear to show that she was paying attention. "I need to tell you something, and you can't be mad or disappointed."

In typical Naomi fashion, a hand sprung to her mouth as she assumed the worst. "Oh my god, are you pregnant? Is it Matthew's? Dude, what will your parents say?"

Ane began to shake her head violently. "No! No way, you know I wouldn't—I've never—look, it's not that. I'm not pregnant." Naomi's look of shock was replaced by one of interest.

"It is about Matthew, though. He cheated on me. With Angela, this morning, in his house while his parents were gone." Naomi's hand reached out to touch Ane's to comfort her. But she didn't feel like she needed much comfort. She didn't feel much of anything at all.

"With Angela? Of all people? I'm so sorry," she said. "Angela's always been, well, you know, liberated, but I never pegged her for a boyfriend-stealer."

"It's fine. I'm just glad that I found out. I mean, what if they had been doing that for a while and nobody knew? I would just look dumb."

Just as Ane finished her sentence, the phone in the other room began to ring. The sun was starting to set, so a call this late could only mean one thing.

"One sec," Naomi said as she rushed to the other room to pick it up. Ane crashed into the bed, not even trying to hear the conversation, and closed her eyes. She began to think about how she felt about the entire thing.

Surprisingly, it didn't hurt in the way she expected. Even though they'd been dating for the better part of her high school years, Ane wasn't really that sad.