Alternative: How Marshall and Paul Were Originally Supposed to Meet

Note: At first, I had the idea of Marshall being able to cross into Quileute territory as a reward for performing an act of service for Ephraim Black when he was still alive. This act of service (which was saving Ephraim's wife from another vampire when she was forced to step away from her territory) allowed Marshall to be perceived as an ally to the wolves (unbeknownst to the Cullens).

He was given permission to come and go as he pleased, just like in the final draft, which is common knowledge to the current acting wolves. Because of this, when Marshall is invited to a beach party in La Push, he has no problems going.

Paul also shows up with his own group of friends. And even though his wolf spirit is disgusted by being in the vicinity of a vampire, Paul can't help but be attracted since his body knows he's within reach of his imprint. 

So let's see how that meeting was actually supposed to go!

Also, deleted character detail: Marshall was supposed to have a pierced ear, but that little snippet never showed up in the final draft because I completely glossed over it! So for self indulgent purposes, he has it for this chapter (and might for others too!).

***

Sharp edges of winged eyeliner helped to bring out the captivating shade of naturally golden irises. A playful gaze, along with thin strands of black hair pooling over flawless skin, were caught in the rearview mirror's reflection.

Marshall gave himself a quick glance over to make sure he was presentable before exiting his vehicle.

Slightly humid air caressed his knuckles before both hands were placed into the pockets of his open leather jacket. A black V-neck hugged his torso like a glove. Formfitting jeans in a shade of auburn were tucked into a pair of dark gray combat boots with purple laces.

Slicked back hair barely reacted when a slight breeze came at him. The dangling pendant from a singular white-golden earring brushed against the skin of his neck. 

Despite the weather feeling a bit muggier than expected, Marshall was delighted to be at the beach rather than being stuck at home. The thought of partying, dancing, and mingling with his friends sounded a lot more enjoyable than sitting at the Cullen estate with nothing to do but listen to Edward serenade the others.

Really, anything sounded better than wasting such a gorgeous evening by sitting inside. It was more than fortunate that an event came up and presented the opportunity to get out of the house.

The scent of crowding humans wasn't bothersome since fresh salt water helped to override it.

The aroma of barbecued meats wasn't bad to take in either, even though the vampire had no desire to eat.

The pungent, enveloping odor of wet dog, however, was...something else to experience.

With Marshall being in Quileute territory again after about a month, he wasn't used to or noseblind to the strong stench anymore. It wasn't something he found super bothersome, but he still thought the natural smell was a bit overwhelming.

As it continued to dance around him, only getting stronger by the minute, Marshall realized he may be joined by a pack member or two at the party.

Oh well—he didn't really have major gripes with the wolves to begin with.

Sure, they were hotheaded and a bit egotistical in his eyes; but the same thing could be said about Marshall too. By him. If anything, he expected an occasional stare down or silent threat sent his way since they wouldn't be able to fight in front of so many humans.