Alternative: If They Had to Make a Choice

A/N (12/24/23): Before getting into this part, I just wanted to wish everyone a beautiful and safe Happy Holidays! Whether you celebrate or not, I hope you have a wonderful week. Remember to take care of yourselves! As a gift, here's a chibi art of Paul, Marshall, and Brad ❤️

 Remember to take care of yourselves! As a gift, here's a chibi art of Paul, Marshall, and Brad ❤️

*

Note: If you guys remember, in Marshall's character archive, I talked about how he wasn't originally supposed to move to La Push until the end of Eclipse/beginning of Breaking Dawn. That was the case because he was never supposed to leave until a big, life altering event made him realize who he was truly loyal to. And while I'll be sticking to that idea for this chapter, it will deviate quite a bit.

There was a point while I was writing early on when I considered the prospect of Marshall having to choose between the Cullens, the wolves, and Paul himself. In that timeline, Marshall and Paul would've been extremely secretive about their relationship to the point where literally no one knew about it. They'd meet in secret, stay out of town a lot to spend time together, and would keep everything pertaining to their relationship on the downlow. The truth would've only been revealed when Marshall makes the choice to drink Paul's blood to save him after getting bitten. The Cullens and the wolves decide to meetup at the treaty line when everything has calmed down, and it's here where true allegiances finally come forward. 

This will be one of those realizing-how-much-you-love-someone types of chapters, so get ready to board The Feels Train 🚂. Had I stuck with this plot, this part would've also been the finale (minus the epilogue) to Pretty Boy as a story.

Also: because this is a different timeline, Marshall and Paul's physical appearances are actually a bit different than in the final draft. You'll see what I mean!

***

"Would you ever run away with me?"

Marshall allowed his question to hang in the air while his gaze was settled on the horizon line. The high altitude brought in a constant breeze, ruffling his hair, jacket, and choker pendant. Occasional strands obstructed his view of far away city lights speckled across the land in vibrant reds, oranges, yellows, blues, and greens.  Random horn honks were muffled by the extensive distance and the wind. Regardless, life continued to move forward as it always did.

But there, sitting in the Jeep's open trunk with blankets draped over their shoulders, time felt like it was at a standstill.

"I don't know," Paul admitted, eyes traveling to look toward the ground. "I've never imagined myself ever having to do so. My pack mates have always meant a lot to me, and I'm just not sure if something substantial enough would happen for me to ever let go of them."

Marshall nodded in genuine understanding.

"...Would you?"