𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

_____________________________
𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘦𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 : 𝘢 𝘨𝘰𝘭𝘥 𝘮𝘦𝘥𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘰𝘯
______________________________

i woke up with a start, sitting up immediately and feeling the cold sweat beading on my neck and under my arms. "oh... oh my god." i started to sob uncontrollably into the moist palm of my hands, beginning to breathe heavily. "no, no." i sniffled to myself.

all of a sudden, someone ran through the door, someone i couldn't care to look up to see. they ran to the bed and quickly sat beside me, holding my body and rocking me side-to-side. "it's okay. it's okay. it was just a nightmare. you're here. you're safe." i heard them mumble. it was peeta. he was there. "i'm sorry. i'm sorry." i spoke in hushed sobs. "don't apologize. don't apologize. i get nightmares too." he assured, continuing to rub my arms and rock me softly.

i felt him kiss my head. i was safe.

« « « » » »

hattie woke up in her bed, but didn't sit up. she looked around. it was a dream. it was all a dream. she let out a shuddering breath. of course, it was a dream. yet, she could somehow still feel the lingering touch of peeta's kiss on her head. it was all in her head.

"bad dream?" she looked across from her bed, where cypress laid. he could barely fit the bed, so he had to scrunch his legs up to his stomach. hattie didn't respond, but he just stood up and pulled himself into her bed, pulling the blanket over himself. she let his face be less than a couple inches away from hers. it reminded her of the sleepovers they used to have. though she had the urge to kiss him, she knew she was acting on the emotion of the moment and not her true feelings. he was like a brother to her.

"tell me what's happening... come on, hat', you're my girl. i'm doing this with you. don't leave me in the dark." he whispered to her. it was true. hattie knew it was true. "i'm good at keeping secrets. let me see... i've never told anyone that i was your first kiss." hattie could help but giggle at cypress. "and i was yours !" she smiled. "we were 6. what did you expect?" he smirked. she relaxed back into the bed.

"no one hates my father more than me." she confessed. "i know that. everyone knows that. don't worry. i don't think anyone could beat you." he shrugged. "and i want to help. i want to help so bad. but, if we do win the war, what if he's still alive? how will we really win?" cypress knew who she referred to. "we'll figure it out. we always do. i'll be right here every step." "you should wake up when i have a nightmares more often." she joked in a low voice. "come here," he said.

she pulled her arms around his neck, and he positioned his arms under hers. "get some sleep." he told her. "you first." she felt the vibration in his chest as he laughed.

"nice try."

« « « » » »

"i'm here for whatever you wanna do. you're the mockingjay. it's ultimately your choice."

hattie talked to katniss as she paced and played with the park necklace. "i just wanted to check with you, since, well... you know." katniss said, and the brown skinned girl nodded her head. "yeah, totally,"

katniss looked down to her neck, and sighed. "hattie," she turned her head to the girl. "yeah?" "uh... peeta wanted you to.. have this." katniss slowly pulled the medallion off her neck and offered it to her.