𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

_______________________________
𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘪𝘧𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯 : 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘧𝘢𝘷𝘰𝘳𝘪𝘵𝘦 𝘤𝘰𝘭𝘰𝘳
_______________________________

hattie stayed asleep on katniss' shoulder while finnick had his sleeping head in hattie's lap.

"i'm sorry. i just.. i can't figure out what's real anymore." peeta spoke. "then ask." finnick said, now seemingly awake. the coldness of the air that replaced finnick's head in hattie's lap made her slowly stir awake. "that's what annie does." "ask who?" peeta questioned. "me." everyone turned their head to the girl who still had her eyes closed on katniss' shoulder.

she finally opened her eyes, rubbing them to get the blurry lenses off her vision. "i've spent my whole life, figuring out what's real and what's not, lies from fantasies... right from wrong, truth from empty promises. i got most of it figured out by now... i bet finnick and kat know a lot of stuff. we're your unit now." she tiredly smiled, and shifted her weight from katniss over to finnick's body. he held her up, like steel.

"your favorite color is green." peeta said, "is that real?" "yeah. that's real. yours is orange. the sunset type of orange." katniss nodded. "...your little sister is rue, and you have nightmares about her still. is that real?" peeta inquired. "yeah. yeah, that's pretty real. you're a really light sleeper." hattie softly chuckled. "rue's your sister?" katniss asked. "yeah." "how fucked up is your family?" she laughed at the pale girl, "too much to even tell you."

peeta continued, "your signature weapon is a machete. real?" at that, hattie reached under the bench she sat at, and held up her sword, pressing the red button. it released flames. "real. and a fencing sword. i love me a good fencing sword. you literally hate any type of physical weapon, by the way." katniss smiled at her. "you love hunting. it puts you at peace. is that real?" the blonde asked. "real." katniss nodded. finnick put an arm around hattie.

"there we go. that's the spirit." he muttered.

« « « » » »

colonel walked out, holding up a device. hattie stood beside peeta, and she felt herself shifting her weight from foot to foot. "mag's empty. it's only for the propo." the man gave peeta an extra look as he spoke. "we got it, colonel." hattie assured. he handed peeta the gun. "you here that? no lighting up the squad, alright?" hattie joked, and spotted a small tip of peeta's lips. "let's move. we're headed five blocks north." "wait, lemme grab my sword." hattie touched peeta's arm, and he turned around, slightly shaking his head.

once outside, hattie saw colonel holding the holo in front of himself, letting the rest of the squad follow him. finnick slowed his pace, and caught up with the two. "we ready?" he asked. "as much as i can be." hattie smiled. "oh, let's go over our lines." finnick said, pulling out the small piece of paper. "lines?" peeta asked. "here, just repeat after me. 'to the citizens of the capitol, our war is not with you.'" "to the citizens of the capitol, our war is not with you'." peeta and hattie recited. "'you will be a vital part of our democracy that follows our victory.'" finnick read. "'you will be a vital part of the democracy that follows our victory'." "you got it. okay." he smiled.

hattie looked around, her mind lost in the air. "you alright, hattie?" hattie snapped back to reality, and saw the boys watching her as she looked up to the sky. "oh, uh, yeah." she nodded, grabbing her rubberband and starting to throw her hair into a high ponytail. "it's just... it's hard to watch my home fall apart, even if i know it deserves it, y'know? like, over there," she pointed to a place down the street where there was a abandoned barbers pole on the sidewalk. "cypress used to get his hair cut over there every month, and i would walk him. the owners loved us." hattie reminisced.