Chapter 62: Spectacularly Mundane

While I'm really hoping Kai hasn't left to go back to the forest yet, I'm not exactly hurrying to meet him

While I'm really hoping Kai hasn't left to go back to the forest yet, I'm not exactly hurrying to meet him. Classes only just finished for the day and my heart kicks against any will within me that would quicken the pace. I'm both depleted and invigorated by spending so much time in the repository with Ominis today, and I somehow feel both completely overwhelmed by and also confident in handling it. And I'm both bolstered by and concerned with what happened with Sebastian – confused by the green glint of his eyes and his comment about Minister Spavin that I didn't understand.

Suffice it to say, my meandering walk through Hogwarts castle is filling my soul. The students are milling around and the snippets of their conversations I can hear make me smile. I notice first years Johanna Nuttal and Marquis Spencer sitting together on a sofa in the Defense Against the Dark Arts tower, their books, parchments and quills sprawled all around them. But they're giggling and distracted with a box of sweets and I'm glad to see Mister Spencer has made a friend in someone who will be a much better influence on him.

Through the windows of the castle I can see the amber light of the setting sun streaming through and I feel at peace to know Autumn is so near: the casting off of the old to recharge and allow for the new.

As I pass a large, opulent stained-glass window in the Defense Against the Dark Arts tower, I allow myself to pause in its dancing, vivid light. After I accompanied Ominis to the Room of Requirement to let him get settled back in his space, I took off my robe and forgot to take it with me when I left to check in with Headmistress Weasley, who I just finished updating about our repository progress.

So I indulge in rolling up my sleeves as far as I can, closing my eyes, and reaching my arms out wide to soak in the warmth of the setting sun and the many colors that each somehow feel like different sensations across my face and skin. I note a few giggles and whispers passing around me.

Let them! It couldn't bother me less.

"What are you doing that for?" I hear a girl's voice ask.

"Join me and find out," I say, opening my eyes to see Anneli Roka giving me an eager but skeptical look. The light of the stained glass makes her appear stunning. Her features are sharp and her skin is like porcelain. Something about her platinum hair almost glitters. Or is it glowing?

Hesitantly she lets her loose robe sleeves drape into her elbows as she exposes her forearms to the light of the stained glass. "Am I supposed to feel something?" she asks.

"I think that's up to you," I advise. "Soaking in the warmth of the sun is a gift every day, because it means you're alive to feel it! But, if you ask me, I think the colors of the glass feels different."

Anneli smiles and I wonder if my opinion of her has been too harsh. I can't put my finger on why she's rubbed me so wrong up to this point. Maybe it's just her over-eagerness in class. I smile back at her and add, "how about you?"