Chapter 67: Anxiety of Ignition

The enchanting, amber glow of sunlight rises through the massive windows around me and wakes me gently with the feeling of warmth across my face

The enchanting, amber glow of sunlight rises through the massive windows around me and wakes me gently with the feeling of warmth across my face. I can tell by the angle of the light that it's early enough for me to meander slowly into consciousness before my brain needs to be functional.

Remnants of a dream ignite and fade in my mind as I stir in the blankets and sheets. A familiar memory from my early childhood that my mind revisits often begins to fade into the background of my consciousness. I can see Benjamin and Cora, our family's dear friends who lived next door whom my father hired – Benjamin to assist with my father's work, and Cora to assist my mother around the house.

Before it fades away, completely, I see Cora's beautiful hands – long, slender fingers of a rich, dark black – take a magical salve of my mother's creation and apply it to her husband's back while my mother's caring hands carefully hover with magic above his thickly scarred, mutilated skin – deep, old wounds that would regularly flare up and cause Benjamin pain.

My stomach clenches at the thought of the sight, and a familiar stinging overtakes me behind my eyes and nose to think of the injustice of it. In the memory, my father rips apart a clean, white cloth into strips and passes them to me to hold as he shakes his head and paraphrases his favorite writer, "man can be the fiercest and cruelest animal, April"

I wonder where they are. How they are.

As the memory fades away completely into the morning's sunny greeting, I stretch my arms out and note how renewed my body and mind feels. It makes me smile to think of why.

Sebastian. My Sebastian.

I almost can't believe the circumstances of my present reality. He's home. He's here. And he's mine.

He is so good to me. So attentive. I sense a reverence in the way he holds me and cares for me that feels excessive and unnecessary. I'm just me, after all. I don't feel I warrant such treatment. But when I remember what he said last night it sends a shiver through me. 'It's only ever been you, April.'

Could it be true?

I can't help but smile about it. I believe him, of course. But it feels...so big. So extraordinary. My logic says it's possible he could feel about me the way I feel for him. I recognize how real my feelings are. How deeply I cherish him. How I crave him and want him to feel the depth of the ways I adore him. The ways I love him. But it still feels extraordinary to have it returned to me. Sebastian is extraordinary to me.

Where is he and why am I alone in this bed?

To my right, I see a lightly steaming, warm cup of chai on my nightstand thoughtfully waiting for me.

Bliss.

I take it and inhale the scent of it, sipping at the rim. It isn't too hot, so it must have been sitting here for a little while. As I slide out of bed, I swish my wand up my body to procure some loose, comfy clothing as my eyes wander to the main living area and see a mess of wavy hair tied into a loop peeking out the side of the sofa.