Chapter 106: An Unexpected Guide

NOTE: I have found that choosing songs for my chapters delays my releasing of them. So when I can't find one I'm satisfied with, I'll be skipping it from here on out.  Thanks for understanding! 

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fact of the matter is this," Thiago says emphatically, "–and I will not be swayed from it, my prince! The fact is I would not be upset if you should choose, instead, to don the traditional centaurian attire of nothing at all from the waist up! That is all I mean to say!" Thiago laughs heartily as he speaks. The vibration of it reminds me of the way a fire rumbles deep in the embers, beneath the flame.

Sebastian laughs. Ominis groans. And I add, "except for the moonstone!"

"Yes! Yes, that is true! You would feel most modest, indeed, with such a stone around your neck!" Thiago exclaims and accentuates his enthusiasm with a skip in his step.

"No, Thiago, I think not," Ominis says in a definitive way. He clarifies, "actually, I know not. It's an unequivocal 'no,' my dear." His cheeks are pink and rosy, but his lips are curled into a smile. The men cling tightly to one another, Ominis' left hand in the crook of Thiago's right elbow as always, interlaced with the fingers of Thiago's left hand atop it. Their budding romance has felt like the rays of a summer sun in my heart – the epitome of nature's unstoppable forces like a rare, colorful wildflower willing itself to grow strong and enduring roots in spite of a harsh, unwelcoming environment in which, against all odds, it thrives.

"Come now, Ominis, there's some power in numbers!" Sebastian teases. "Two bare-chested men standing amidst a horde of gigantic centaurs–"

"–colony," I correct him.

"Sorry," he says quickly, "two bare-chested men amongst a colony of gigantic centaurs may appear a bit piddly – but three? Now that's a force to be reckoned with!" Sebastian gibes with playful enthusiasm. Despite his comedic tone, his words reveal the thread of his ongoing insecurity about Kai, about how he stacks up, and about the massive, complex part of my life that (to him) represents everything he missed while he was away.

"My apologies, Sebastian," Ominis says calmly, "but I need no one to reckon with me." His smirk grows when he dryly adds, "and I assure you there is nothing 'piddly' about Thiago's bare chest."

My oh myyy.

Thiago's face beams with pride as he breaks into another rumbling, baritone laugh – this one with the melodic intonation of the rolling Cotswold Hills, themselves. And I'd be lying if I said Sebastian wasn't blushing a little about Ominis' response.

We have just begun to cross the final bridge on the walk towards Hogsmeade, from which we'll veer into the Forbidden Forest, and Sebastian squeezes my hand as we talk, walk, and laugh with the two giddy sweethearts. In total, we are four giddy sweethearts. And the four of us have prepared to the best of our ability for this weekend, being as well-hydrated, well-fed, and well-slept as we can be over the past couple days.

Also – I packed well! In his left hand, Sebastian carries a leather satchel, equipped with an extension charm of course, that contains everything we'll need for this weekend's 'Matriarkka Måne:' the centaurian super moon celebration. In my right hand I carry nothing but my anxious fist that keeps balling up. I have to force my fingers out, wide and stretched, to try to release this pent up energy.

If I had to describe how I'm feeling...well, I couldn't. The Autumnal weather around my exterior – warm air, cool breezes, and clear skies – is more straight-forward than the confounding weather within my interior – a flabbergasting amalgam of emotions that have me buzzing with adrenaline. Sebastian gave me some serious shit for it this morning, teasing me about my propensity for chattiness when I'm feeling nervous. Thankfully, he found some provocative and, shall I say, explosive ways to (momentarily) calm down my body – and my nerves by extension.