Chapter 89: Grief is the Price of Love

Weasley sits a little taller at Professor Sharp's suggestion to begin a group discussion

::Fanfuckingtastic.::

Naturally, she takes the lead of the conversation with an encouraging, "yes, excellent! Now–Professor Collins, dear, perhaps you can give us a status update on the repository?"

I'm ashamed to realize I don't know the answer to the question, myself. I've been so caught up in my own work and tasks that I've not asked April about hers in...days. Shit.

::You and she don't leave much time for talking, though, mate. Priorities seem fine to me.::

To my surprise, Ominis chimes in with a proud smile. "She's been remarkable!" 

I'm used to him staying on the sidelines of group discussions like this. But I suppose that's changed in our last few interactions. He's...opening up.

"Ha!" April huffs to my left and I let my hand rest on her knee beneath the table as she swallows a bit and explains with a smile, "Ominis and I have it mostly taken care of. It just takes a stupid amount of time and focus to parse through my magic and Isadora's magic. I can't absorb hers. But I've taken care of mostly all my own magic that we generated–" her expression wavers as she pauses and Ominis interjects, saying, "'we' is generous, dear. It's your gift."

April smiles and proceeds with a slight flash of shame in her eyes. "–well, nearly all of my own magic is gone....but I've channeled all of Isidora's into the Figs. That's the biggest thing left to remove. I...." she shakes her head and waves her hands in front of her face almost as though her thoughts were little gnats she were swatting away. It makes me smile. Makes Kai smile too, the bloody wanker.

::Bloody wank—oh, yeah no. You've got it, sorry mate.::

"I've left the Fig's memorial until last because I hate to see it go," April finishes and Weasley speaks up. "Ah, yes! I've been meaning to tell you, I spoke with Professor Garlick and she agrees that we recreate it in stone, dear, in the gardens! It's such a lovely tribute. We all agree it should be a part of Hogwarts. What do you think?"

My eyes happen to catch Sharp watching April's reaction to the suggestion and the way he smiles at the sight of her joy feels profound. It draws my eye to April who is squeezing my hand on her leg and swiping a tear from her face as she nods to Weasley. "Thank you, Headmistress. Yes. That would be lovely."

My sweet girl.

"It's settled," Weasley says to April in a satisfied way, seemingly holding emotion back from her own voice as they lock eyes for a moment. But, ever pragmatic, she goes on. "We have received correspondence that Headmaster Helvig intends to bring a number of colleagues at the end of the month, much to my dismay. So there will be more prying eyes and questions. We should each get our stories straight about what we'll tell them regarding Ancient Magic, the repository, and April's involvement–"