16- she thinks picnics are fun

✩✩✩✩•

16. SHE THINKS PICNICS ARE FUN

     She had a plan. It was a fairly good plan. In fact, it was a brilliant plan.

Well, in theory it was a fairly good plan. Actually, the more she thought about it, the more it seemed like a mediocre plan.

She'd acquired a some hot chicken soup from Wimly in the kitchen after a rather eventful dinner. Anita, Amanda and Dorcas had somehow snuck a sparkler into the great hall (much to Calypso's horror because she really hated public things) and had stuck it in her apple crumble when she had turned around to talk to Henry.
  Thankfully though, they had been some of the last people in the hall so Calypso didn't have the horrifying experience of the whole of Hogwarts singing an early happy birthday to her; just Anita, Amanda, Dorcas, Henry and Amber, who had a surprisingly good singing voice. Calypso was tempted to try and enlist her into joining the frog choir. They always needed more people for the Christmas send off, even if it was just to hold one of the toads.

Anita had wanted to celebrate in the evening because her and Amanda had training in the morning early the next day, and so Dorcas would be the only one to celebrate with her. And, as much as she loved her friends, she wasn't getting up at 5am to celebrate early.

But back to the plan. Calypso was going to sneak down to the hospital wing, past all the patrolling prefects and nosy portraits and surprise Remus with soup and a good book. She'd brought Rebecca with her and, knowing that Remus liked a bit of mystery, figured she could lend it to him. It was also Sandy's favourite book.

She'd already enacted the first part of the plan; she'd gotten the food and the book in hand. Now she just needed to make it to the hospital wing without being spotted.

In order to execute her plan, she'd had to tell Anita and Amanda, whom had actually said very little about it. Calypso had been so utterly surprised they hadn't teased her to death, that she'd been rendered speechless. Suspiciously speechless though. Who had gone and replaced her friends with aliens? Though, Anita had said it ought to be Remus doing the sneaking around to give her a cute gift, after all it was the night before her birthday, not his.
Amanda had then said that it was cool Calypso was defying the patriarchy. And that was that as Anita begrudgingly accepted Amanda's comment.

Calypso didn't have much time to dwell on her friends strange behaviour though, as she only had a limited time frame to get to Remus and so she'd rushed off after.

It was utterly strange being alone in the hallways of Hogwarts after dark. There was no one about, only the echo of her own careful footsteps sounded and Calypso couldn't help the slight chill that washed over her. There was something eerily creepy about it, she could almost imagine Hogwarts had been abandoned, with only melancholy spirits to drift amongst its halls and towers.

And there went her mind again. She pinched herself slightly, willing herself to focus and not get carried away with the shadows.

It felt like forever before she finally reached the last corridor that led to the hospital wing. One last stretch, she was so close. It had been so much easier than she'd expected actually—

Two figures rounded the corner. Merlin's saggy bum, she'd spoken too soon. And there was no where to hide. Apart from...