22- she has scary friends

✩✩✩✩•

22. SHE HAS SCARY FRIENDS

     The smell of oranges was the first thing Calypso noticed as she came too. The sweet citrusy scent filled her lungs and she let out a little happy sigh. She turned her head slightly, pillow crinkling as she did. By the side of her bed, a bowl of oranges sat waiting for her alongside a couple of cards.

The sun was glowing a warm orange that told Calypso it was the afternoon at least—not that she knew what day it was. She hoped she'd only miss a couple of hours or a day at most.

Her body ached and her throat was unbelievably dry and sore but she was alive. God, she'd been stupid. How does someone forget they're allergic to peanuts?
It wasn't like she was deathly allergic, she just had really intense reactions to them. She'd only accidentally eaten peanuts three times in her life; the first time being at Christmas when she was five—that had ruined the festive spirit for a couple of hours but they'd discovered she was allergic then, so every silver cloud and all.

The second time had been when Eddie accidentally made her peanut butter sandwiches with jam. Granted, he had been about five then and had thought peanut butter was just butter. That had been not so fun.

And the third time was entirely her fault and of course, she was now lying in the hospital wing with a swollen throat and arms that looked like she'd been bitten by a hundred angry bees.

"You're awake! Gave us quite the scare there, miss Allaire." Madame Pomfrey greeted brightly, busying herself with checking Calypso's temperature. "Now, you're doing fine. Your throat might be a little tender for a couple of days but the medicine and sleep has taken the worst off of you."

Frowning slightly as she wiggled herself into a sitting position, Calypso asked, "how... how long have I been here, Madame Pomfrey?"

"Only two days, sweetheart." The older witch swirled a vial around, holding it up to her eye before she gave a little sound of approval. It looked worryingly green. "Drink this. Every last drop mind you, it'll help with the soreness."

Accepting the vial, her nose wrinkled as the pungent smell of it wafted over her. She tried not to dwell on the fact it had been two days. Of course nothing could go her way.

"Dear lord—" she coughed and decided to get the worst over and done with. Before she could double think it, Calypso downed the whole thing. She tried her best not to gag as the thick, sludgy liquid ran down her throat. It was cold and soothing at least, but the taste—positively revolting.

"There you go." Madame Pomfrey smiled at her but a sharp wail of pain had her tutting. "Jefferson is really milking it—he only sprained his wrist but anyone would think he'd had his arm chopped off! Now, you're free to go once you feel strong enough to stand on two feet."

"Thank you, Madame Pomfrey." Said Calypso graciously. She didn't envy Jefferson as she heard the older witch thunder over to him with a huff.

"Calypso!" Her name rang out loud and it was then that she spotted Anita and Amanda walking her way.

Anita was waving enthusiastically at her and Amanda was smiling brightly, which was probably down to the fact that Dorcas was beside her, their hands intertwined. Calypso felt her lips pull upwards at the sight of the three of them.