TEN

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

You don't think it's imaginable. It's always a lingering fear—that what if it does, though?—but you never really think it'll happen to you or anyone you love.

And then it does, and you're petrified.

She thought about everything that had happened just hours, minutes, seconds, moments before hearing the news.

There's no way, she thinks at first, because he and I were just sitting in the diner halfway between her work and his eating freaking waffles that morning. Because she had plans to go shopping with April and Reed that weekend, because they save people so there's no way someone was out there killing them, right?

She rewinds, rethinking every single thing they did that morning. She had woken up two hours before she had to go to work with a desire to drink water. She never drank it, she was always dehydrated, and sometimes, it interfered with her sleep. She drank water and couldn't go back to bed, so she checked to see what everyone was up to that morning, if they were at work still or needed to be there early.

Jackson was the only one who was free, and despite her desires to just get coffee because she doesn't eat breakfast, he told her to haul her ass to the diner and eat a stack of waffles with him. She got a burger.

When she finally got responses out of Reed and April, they were both at work, but told her that they could go to the mall together. She shrugged it off, it wasn't that big of a deal, the weekend would be there sooner than later.

But now, it was a big deal.

"I'm sorry, what did you just say?" Blair asked, breatheless. She was in Declan's class, the one she was the assistant professor for, when a student's phone went off.

Declan had told him to turn his ringer off, brushing past the interruption to continue with his lecture, when the student read his text and blurted, "There's an active shooter at Seattle Grace."

Blair had risen from her seat in the corner of the room immediately, dropping the red pen she was using to grade papers. Her and Declan looking to one another with the same horrored looks.

"M-my dad's there," the same student whispered in disbelief as murmurs erupted through the room.

Everything felt like it was going in slow motion now, yet somehow sped up at the same time. She barely processed what Declan was saying as he tried to keep the room calm, but inevitably let everyone leave for the day given the news.

"Stay clear of that hospital," he warned them, pointing at his students as they cleared the room.

Blair was still in her spot, staring at the empty seats with a petrified expression. Her eyes were wide and her mouth was slightly ajar, and she was trying to imagine everyone's faces the last time she saw them.