TWENTY SIX

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

"Dr. Avery," the security guard that was preventing him from going to the OR floor walked over. "I've been given the go ahead to let you into only in the gallery of Ms. Macaspac's surgery, but only if can promise to not talk to Dr. Atlman or Yang through the intercom while they perform the surgery."

Jackson stood up quickly. His breathe hitched at the words. Ophelia had previously had a hand on his arm comfortingly, and let go of him and just shifted in her spot to straight out.

"Y-Yang and Altman?" he furrowed his eyebrows, tilting his head to the side in confusion.

"Dr. Altman and Dr. Yang have taken over the remainder operation," the security guard told him.

Jackson couldn't tell if he should be glad or not, only because that meant they finished surgery on the shooter. Did the shooter make it out alive? Did they lose him on the table? Is that guy alive while Blair was still fighting for her life?

"I... thank you," Jackson said, not wanting an update on the shooter until he knew if Blair was out of the woods.

He turned to Haley and Ophelia. Nathan had come back for Haley already, sitting with an arm around her.

"I—"

"Go," Ophelia nodded at him, a small smile. "Go see our girl have her life saved."

Ophelia kept checking the time on her phone.

She should be here soon, she thought to herself.

She looked back up to Jackson only to see that he had already taken off running.

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

"This is the girl who sprained her ankle trying to get here during our shooting, right?" Richard asked Meredith, leaning over to her as they watched from the gallery. "I remember her crying from behind the police barricade repeating all of your guys' names."

"What?" Derek asked softly, confusion appearing on his face, unaware of this because he had been shot and in recovery afterwards.

All he knew about Blair was that after the shooting and Jackson moved in, she became his favorite sorority sister.

"Yeah," Richard nodded. "Limping and all, the guy who came with her, a blond with an accent, said she fell down the stairs at their work because she was running so fast..."

"Professor O'Brien," Meredith mouthed to Derek, remembering him from Owen and Cristina's wedding.

Derek and Meredith couldn't help but smile at the fact that Blair raced to them that fast. They never expected they'd love some random girl who was friends with Jackson Avery so much, but they did.

"That girl cooks me breakfast on a pretty regular basis, I am extremely fond of her," Derek said softly, shaking his head. "She'll be fine."

"She will be," Meredith agreed. "Cristina has her."

"And if Cristina doesn't? All the work we've done since Gary Clark for Cristina will be erased. This will kill her career," Derek added.

"I know. Owen knows, too. It's why we kept her out of the OR earlier and sent her to the shooter," Meredith said sadly, looking down at her best friend in that OR. "That's why, Cristina has this. She does. I believe in her. She will save Blair, and Blair will save Cristina's career."

When Jackson finally got into the operating room, his footsteps loud against the floor and his breath uneven, Richard, Meredith, and Derek were sitting in the front row of the gallery. They all glanced over to look at him, going silent.

To prevent himself from being even tempted by the intercom, he sat on the opposite side of the room from it. He felt Richard, Meredith, and Derek look at him as he sat down. A part of him was still pissed off that Meredith, Richard, Owen, and Alex forced him out of the ER earlier. He understood. If it was any of their loved ones, he probably would've done the same—hell, he knows he has before. He and Cristina kept Meredith out of Derek's OR, and Jackson has told her to shut up while he unhooked Derek's vitals to make it look like he was flatlining.

But still.

Lexie came in next, looking exhausted. She had been in the gallery since she first heard Blair was in surgery—one of the main things she was worried and crying about in the ambulance bay in the first place—, but had gone to grab coffees.

She extended one to Jackson, taking a seat next to him. Her eyes were puffy and red, her nose even a bit pink. She sniffles every few seconds, and glanced over at Jackson a few times to see how he was doing. She just let out a shaky exhale when she saw he was just staring, clenched jaw, looking into the OR below.

When April came back inside, having also taken a quick break from watching to go into the hospital chapel and plead with God or Jesus or maybe even Justin Timberlake to not take Blair, she stared at Lexie sitting next to Jackson with a furrow in her brow. Lexie had put a hand on Jackson's forearm to try to comfort him.

Lexie seemed to notice April's expression, though Jackson was oblivious. His stare focused solely on two of the best cardiothoracic surgeons he had ever met down in that OR.

Lexie got up from her place next to Jackson when April's stare made her uncomfortable, moving over one. April sat next to Jackson with the slightest shake of her head.

"You okay?" April whispered softly, breaking the tense silence that had befallen the room since Jackson came to join them in the gallery.

"I can barely move past Charlie and Reed," he whispered to her. She was the only one who understood, he believed.

The only one who loved Charles and Reed like he did, the only one in that room who could even begin to understand the bond between him and Blair since she had years of knowing them on the others. He knew Lexie, Meredith, and Derek cared about Blair, but they weren't feeling this the way Jackson was. Only April could understand even a small percentage.

She put her hand in his comfortingly, leaning on his shoulder as her heart broke thinking about their best friends other than Blair. Tears filled her eyes, but she didn't cry.

"Me, too," she said, and Jackson knew she was telling the absolute truth.

The rest of the people who knew Blair came into the gallery, everyone watching the surgery in silence. Even Dr. Stork came in, wondering what it was that got all the good residents stressed out and got the attendings on edge.

Mark came inside last. telling Stork to beat it so he could take his seat. He glanced back at Lexie before looking back forward.

No one in that gallery felt fine at all.

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

a/n:

started station 19 (finally) and now i'm debating how imma add jack gibson to this (because blair swooning over a hot firefighter and jealous jackson??? i would make them meet during the hospital fire when jackson gets hurt in the bus explosion obvi) orrr if i make him a book of his own and do crossovers w that new OC into this/vise versa... hmmm

april being like... don't touch him lexie... but not because she's jealous is funny

i've been debating making lexie blair's "person" to add to the dramatics of the jackson lexie inevitable relationship, but i also feel like i totally set up april to be that person for her... but then again, since japril won't be a couple maybe it makes more sense for april to be jackson's person? since they're the only survivors of their mercy west friend group?

lowkey, derek being blair's person would be hella funny or even alex