TWENTY FOUR

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

their past years have entered the chat

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

Blair Macaspac was honestly not that different of a person at fifteen.

She was still sarcastic, always had her head in a book, and always sort of sounded like she was flirting with people. Especially when she didn't mean to sound like it.

The only real difference was that, before her sophomore year of high school, she didn't know a certain Jackson Avery.

She spent freshman year at a public school before, finally, passing not only the written exam to get into one of Boston's best private schools, but also getting awarded a scholarship

. Her parents wouldn't have been able to afford to send her there without it. Yet, they insisted she get in.

Perhaps that was what made her and Ophelia Carmine create a bond—both starting the same exact year, or maybe it was just that Ophelia saw something in the girl.

On the first day of school, Blair arrived to each of her classes early to try and snag a good seat since she didn't know anyone at the school and didn't want to have to awkwardly ask people if the seat next to them was taken.

She glanced up from the book she was reading before classes began when she saw someone sit next to her from her peripherals.

She caught sight of the grey hoodie as the person sat down, trying not to look for too long at whoever it was as she raised her eyes for a second to look. It was a boy.

She immediately looked back to her book, waiting for classes to begin.

Ophelia Carmine wore her best grey blazer and black pant ensemble, her curly hair flowing perfectly and a maroon on her lip. She was holding a coffee cup, and gave a big speech once the second bell rang about how it was her first first day at the school, a little background on herself, and she kept making jokes that made Blair laugh.

"I'm Ms. Carmine," she said as she stood at the front of the class, sitting on her desk. "I hate having to do icebreakers as much as the next person, so I'm just gonna give myself a little introduction. You guys can decide if you want to introduce yourselves to one another later on."

She paused to look around the room, taking a sip of coffee.

"You can call me Ms. Carmine, I also go by Ophelia, I don't really care between the two, a last name is a last name. I moved here from Connecticut, I'm a Hartford girl myself, and now I'm in Boston, very fun, very fun. Um... what else..."

She looked up, as if she was searching her own head for the next thing, and then putting a finger up and going, "Right."

She stood up and said, "One piece of advice I can give all of you from one writer to...possibly... another...: no story worth its weight in words can be paraphrased. That is, if any of you guys in here plan to be writers. If you are, really quirky teachers based off of me is always fun. Let's have an excellent semester."

She walked to the other side of her desk, rummaging through papers for a moment and telling them, "You guys talks amongst yourselves while I set up. Or don't. It's your lives, live it how you please."

The room was filled with quiet chatter after that, and Blair's hand reached for the book she had closed and pushed to the corner of her table when the person next to her turned to her. She could see him do it from her side vision.

"I'm Jackson," he spoke.

She turned to face him, finally getting a look at his face. She was an eye contact girl, so she looked straight into them.

They were bright and green and sparkled, or at least, the fifteen year old version of her who romanticized everything believed they sparkled.

He put a hand out for her to shake, and she pushed her book back to its corner.

"Blair," she smiled at him, shaking his hand.

Wow, she said to herself. This man's eyes were gorgeous.

"Were you here last year?" he asked, squinting those green eyes at her as he tried to figure out if she was familiar, and let go of her hand.

"No, I transferred this year," she shook her head.

"Ahh, that makes sense, I didn't recognize you."

She squinted her eyes at him, asking, "Are you saying if I had gone to school here last year, you would've remembered me?"

This stumps Jackson for a second as he smiles at her, opening his mouth to say something but trying to find the right words.

He liked his lips, a closed smile on his face as he shook his head. "That... that's not what I was trying to say at all."

She just looked at him with slightly widened eyes and raised eyebrows, waiting for him to explain.

Her eyes trailed to his necklace, it was a large donut shaped wooden piece, or maybe not wood, and attached to a rope instead of a chain, then she looked back to his face.

"I, uh... the advanced English class was small last year, just one class period, and you had to have taken that one last year to be able to enroll in this one this year..." he explained to her, scratching the back of his head now.

He shakes his head now.

"And you... you weren't in that class because I was in that class and I..." he trailed off.

He realized he was about to say, "I would've remembered you," which is what he was trying to convince her wasn't the case.

"You...?" she asked, waiting for him to continue, but he just smiled and shook his head.

"Nothing, never mind."

She chuckled and shook her own head at him. "You were so gonna use the line."

"Uhhhh... no... no I wasn't," he denied, his voice going higher as he didn't even try to deny it better.

"Yeah, sure, buddy," she said sarcastically, turning back to face her knees forward.

She let her elbow rest on the table, using a hand to prop her head up as she only turned her head to face him while they walked now.

He mimicked her, both of their heads moving a little closer as they leaned against their shared table and talked to one another.

The two of them were just in fits of laughter as they talked to one another, turning their heads this way and that in amusement as they spoke, until they were eventually cut off by Ms. Carmine starting class.

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

a/n: i changed the cover photo to a new photo of myself lmao

this chapter is super short but i wanted to at least get this out already ah

the spiel ophelia gives is the same blair gives to her students in chapter seventeen! except ofc blair changes the personal info in her speech and it wasn't the same exact verbatim.