Divorce

With shaky hands and tears forming in the eyes, Meredith signed the paper and slid it in front of the lawyer. She nervously looked up and met his eyes, his eyes full of anger, but the more she stared at them, the more she could see and feel the sadness in them. Well, there's no turning back now. She thought, looking away as she wiped her tears.

  "Okay, I'll contact both of you for updates... I'll leave you two alone" the lawyer, Mrs Jones stood up and let out a deep sigh, "And, again... I'm sorry this happened to you two" she added before leaving them and closed the door behind her.

  He stood up, the chair scratched on the floor making a loud noise making her flinch a little, "I want you out of my house first thing tomorrow morning. I don't want to see a trace of you, not even a strand of your hair in my room" he said coldly, his voice sounded so harsh, while looking around the room except her direction, "Don't be so sad, and act as if you're the victim here. You're the one who brought us into this mess" he added as she sniffed, tears still streaming down her cheeks, while fidgeting with the hem of her skirt, forcedly pulling them down as if it's too short for her.

  "Does a 10 year relationship mean nothing to you?" she said in between tears, "are we not worth fighting for? Am I not?"

"Stop that" he said below whisper, shaking his head slightly, "It was your fault we were here today. You're the one who broke our marriage and you know what...I can't even look at you right now. You disgust—"

  "You don't have to finish your sentence, I already know what you're trying to say" she suddenly stood up and wiped off her tears, "Don't worry, I won't beg you,I will never do that because I know my worth and I'm worth more than you think. And if that's what you really want, I'll be out of your house by the end of the day" she added, trying her best to hold back her tears.

  Not only because he was her husband,but also because he was also the love of her life and she'd never imagined her life without him after they got married. She'd never imagined not waking up in his arms the moment he asked her to move in with him. She'd never imagined saying "I love you" to a man that is not him. She'd never imagined herself living in a world not being with him. He was her best friend, he was her happiness, he was her hope, he was her heart, he was the reason she hadn't fallen apart, he was her everything.

   "Also,if you want every gift you gave me back, I'll give it all to you and the others I've already lost and broken... I'll just send you the money for payment" she said, still avoiding his eyes, "I know you very well, Nick" she added,a small tear leaving her eyes, almost as if she's crying a river, "You did that to every woman you've been with, right? Yeah, I know that  because you told me that when you were courting me, when I asked you what kind of his you are. And since then, I started to take really, really great care of all the gifts you've given me and put them in a nice and decent box incase you know... this happen.So, you'll find that box in your room when you get home" she added, by now she wasn't crying anymore, surprisingly.

   "Good to know" was his reply, still avoiding her eyes.

"Thank you for the greatest 10 years of my life." she said, her hands clutching on her purse, "Goodbye, Nick" were her last words before she left him alone in the room.