Back to work

A month later...

   Meredith came back to work a week ago since Link had already removed her cast and cleared her for surgery but she, herself doesn't want to yet as much as she missed surgery.

   "Are you excited?" Meredith heared from behind

"Hmm?" she turned around and saw Andrew and stood next to her, "what do you mean?"

  "Your surgery? first surgery in almost 2 months?" Andrew smiled encouragingly

"Y-yeah, I'm kinda nervous though" she me admitted shyly

"With the fact that it's your first surgery since your recovery or because your ex-husband is gonna be there with you the entire time?" Andrew questioned, confused himself but well aware about their situation.

  "So what if he's gonna be there?" she mumbled as if she doesn't care and it  hasn't been bugging her since they're both assigned to do the surgery

"Come on,Mer," Andrew smiled, "it'll be a great day"

  "Why'd you do it?" Meredith then asked, looking at him straight in the eye

"What do you mean?"

   "You were supposed to be the one to work with Nick on this surgery in DC, why'd you suddenly back out last minute" Meredith asked

"I just..." he paused, looking for an excuse, "my sister came back from Italy last night and want me to come over for dinner to meet her son" he added, trying to sound convincing

  "Don't lie to me, Andrew... we've spent weeks together. I know when you're lying!" Meredith gave back, "Why? why are you dying to get me back with him when you very knew what I went through after he divorced me!" then Andrew pulled her into a close on call room.

   "Because I know you still love him and he still loves you too, Meredith!" Andrew said back, "And because I don't want — I don't like see you hurting...because I—"

   "Because what, Andrew! What is your excuse this time!" Meredith asked, close to breaking into tears

  "I just don't,okay! I don't want to see a woman hurting or crying because of a man!" he then breathed out, "I know that sounds stupid but that's my reason. I want you to be okay again, I don't want you going to Dr Wyatt's office everyday crying because you saw your husband with another woman in the hospital corridor"

   "You think that makes me feel better?" she then asked him, "you think that's what I want? You can't make decisions for me, Andrew. You are nothing to me, we may be friends but that doesn't mean you get to decide what's best for me!" she yelle6, before storming out, leaving Andrew with tears in the corner of his eyes.

*time skips*

  Meredith's currently preparing her things in the attending's lounge for their surgery in DC when Nick came in talking on the phone.

   "Yes, I'll be back tomorrow afternoon maybe if everything goes according to plan" he smiled, grabbing his backpack that's sitting next to Meredith's bag in the closet, where they happened to be assigned a long time ago and it hasn't changed ever since. Mainly, because they both didn't want to. "Hey Layla, I'll call you back when I land okay?" before he hangs up. They're still together? Meredith asked herself before grabbing her back, feeling Nick's gaze on her, and put her things in it.

  "You okay?" she heard Nick asked him

"Yeah, just feeling a little bit under the weather, that's all" she offer him a small hesitant smile

"Do you want me to ask someone come with me instead, I can ask Bailey if —"

  "Please Nick..." she interrupted him, "Stop acting like you care, I'm fine" she added before leaving.