No fixing us

The next day, they both went to the hospital in their separate ways... well more like Meredith went there first early in the morning then Nick came after an hour before the surgery.

   "I'm gonna go check on my patients, I'll see you around Dr Vernon" Nick saw a man standing in front of Meredith at the lobby as she talked to him before she walked away, "It's nice to meet you" she smiled at him

"It's nice to finally meet you too,Dr Grey" the man replied and his eyes followed Meredith's direction as she entered the elevator.

  He quickly ran and stopped the elevator's door from closing with his hands and stood next to her, as she took a step back to put spaces between them.

  "Good morning" he started, not looking at her but at his feet, "I missed you this morning... I thought we'd go together"

"Well, plans have changed... one of the patient coded this morning that's why they called me" she sighed, tapping on the patient's chart

   "Then why didn't you call me?" he asked, finally turning around

"I did call you... three times actually, didn't you see?" she asked him back, finally looking at him "Or you're too busy with something else?"

  He quickly took out and checked his  call logs and saw her missed calls from earlier this morning, sighing in defeat he put it back into his pocket and faced the door, then there was a ding, the door opened and Meredith walked pass him and made her way to the attending lounge where a nurse directed them into.

   As they both have changed into their matcha green scrubs, Meredith quickly left the room and immediately went to meet the patient.

  "Good morning, Danielle sweetie!" she smiled brightly at the little girl, standing at the table at the edge of the bed

   "My mommy calls me sweetie too!" the little girl enthusiastically replied

"How are you feeling?" Meredith asked again, opening the patient's file on the tablet

   "My head still hurts and my tummy aches..." Danielle pouted

"Don't worry sweetie,me and the other doctor will do everything so you won't be in pain anymore, okay?" She said, trying to cheer up the little girl as she nodded and smile, "And where's mommy and daddy?"

  "Mommy left to buy us breakfast and daddy found a new family" the little girl casually answered as if it doesn't affect her at all as Meredith's smile faded. "Are you okay,Dr Grey?" she asked

  "I-im okay, Danielle" she reassure her by smiling

  "Oh Dr Grey, good morning!" then a tall brunette woman entered the room, who looked exactly like Danielle, "I just wetn out to grab us breakfast,is that okay?"

   "Unfortunately Ms Douglas no, Danielle can't eat anything for 24 hours before surgery...so that tasty looking pancakes is a no for now. Sorry sweetie" Meredith explained with an apologetic smile as the little girl pouted again.

   *time skips after the surgery*

Meredith was updating Danielle's chart when Nick joined her at the nurse lobby and stood next to her,but still putting space between them.

   "How is she?" he asked her

"She's good,stable and asked for a watermelon jello earlier..." Meredith's smiled, looking at Danielle through the glass, "I'll stay till tomorrow...and you.. you can go" she added, briefly looking at him before she looked back down on the chart

   "No,i-its okay I'll stay with you...here" he interfered, "I want to stay" he added as with a small smile on his lips "And,also the chief asked me to do a transplant tomorrow morning so... I-i'll stay"

   She took a deep breath, leaned against the counter and looked at him,
"I thought you had plans..."

   "Hmm, what?" he asked confusedly, but having an idea what she's talking about "Oh well, she had an emergency at home so I took the opportunity to tell her about the transplant...and that um... I'll stay here till tomorrow" he explained and she nodded, before facing the direction of the room where they could see Danielle smiling brightly as her mom walked out and approached them.

   "Uh Dr Grey, Dany wanted to talk to you" the mother informed and Meredith nodded before entering the room with a smile.

   "Hey, sweetie... any headaches?" she asked, standing next to her bed and caressed her forehead

"None... thank you,Dr Grey" the little girl tiredly smile

   "You should get some sleep... I'll give more jello tomorrow. Any flavor in mind?" she then suggested, noticing how her eyes are fighting the sleep

"Lemon and strawberry?"

   "Got it!" Meredith's chuckled

"Dr Grey?" Danielle asked again as Meredith's hummed, "Is Dr Marsh single?" she asked as Meredith froze and her smile dropped. How could a 9 year old be so bold thinker? she thought. "It's just that... ever since my dad left us...my mom has been really sad and I think Dr Marsh makes her smile a lot and I love seeing my mom smile" the little girl added.

  What would she say?

She loved me and she can't just refer him to their patient's lonely mother!

"Can you at least let him know that... he makes my mom smile whenever he's around?" the little girl added before she drifted off to sleep.

    Mered(I walked out of the room with her weak knees and welled up eyes. She felt the same as Danielle's mom does... he made her happy with his presence, he made her smile just by looking at her, he make her feel things that one can ever make her feel. She still love him very much to even answer Danielle's questions earlier. Her mind went blank and all she could think of at that moment was her happy moments with him. Their celebration, her awarding fot Catherine Fox, the proposal, and their wedding.

   "Are you okay?" she looked up and there he was, standing close,yet having distance between them, looking at her concerned. "What's wrong?" he asked as a tear left her eye.

  "I-im so-sorry... I-i can't!" she stammer in between tears before entering one of the closest supply closet and let herself break down in tears, holding her hands into her chest until she heard a knock on the door and heard his voice.

   "Mer,open the door please. I want know you're okay"

   What do y'all think so far? Any ideas? Please leave a suggestion...!