CHAPTER 16: THE WRONG IDEA

KAYDEN'S POV:

.

.

.

Life is like dirt.

A whole lot of it is yucky and unfavorable. But if you stand your ground and keep digging, then you'll hit stone. And that's even worse.

What comes after that?

None of us know.

That's why it sucks so much.

You can only stand there, stuck and unable to move further because you're just too weak to do anything about it.

That's exactly what I thought as Jiwoo sat there in front of me, trying as hard as she could to summon the power she conjured before, once more.

She took a deep breath, shut her eyes and relaxed. Faintly, I witnessed a small blue light that zapped in the air, near her chest. It went away as quickly as it came.

Though, she wasn't done yet. Again, it came and went in a glimpse, alongside another.

The first time she did it, which was when we were in the basement, by miracle was she able to do it.

Even though she was only able to keep it up for eight seconds, she still did it.

What she is doing now is regaining that perfect control.

She's already doing so well that it's almost ridiculous.

In a day, she's already managed to conjure something. To conjure something is a lot more impressive than she realizes.

Especially for a newbie.

It makes me think she might actually have a chance at reaching an appropriate level for her age after all...

Not to mention, she's able to channel numen to her heart. That's one of the trickiest things to do when dispersing and gathering numen.

She sighed, shifting from where she sat and standing up. She seemed bothered.

"I'm doing as you said, but I can't seem to figure it out..." she plopped down next to me and slouched.

"Like I said before, it takes a lot of practice."

She didn't seem totally satisfied with that answer.

"You're actually progressing a lot better than I thought you would. Just take it easy and you'll get there."

"Really?" she still didn't seem confident. She sat up straight and crossed her legs. "Still, I thought I would at least be able to get that blue stuff swirling around me again..."

The sudden sound of an alarm blared from the other side of the couch, causing us to flinch.

"Oh! That's right!" she hopped to her feet, grabbed her phone, and rushed upstairs.

"I'm going to be late—!" I heard her mutter as she ran.

I raised an eyebrow. "Wow, already? Time flies."

Not even a minute later she came back with her school uniform's blazer on and a hefty backpack slung across her shoulder.

She rushed toward the front door and by the closet.

Abruptly, she stopped all motion, foot mid-air, and shoe scrunched in her hand. "Ah, I forgot the cat food!"

Without missing a beat, she rushed to the other side of the house and poured five individual little bowls of cat sustenance.