CHAPTER 17

Hermione was huddled into the corner of the common room with books and charts strewn across the table. Her mass of bushy curls surrounded her face as she kept her head down and scribbled violently across the paper. I swear she would never know a good hair day even if it slapped her in the face.

"Hey, Mione," I said as I dumped my books next to her and sat down.

"Hi," she replied curtly without looking at me and not losing her train of thought as the nib of her quill violently scratched the parchment.

"You know, perhaps it would be best if you could give up one of your subjects, you look like you're struggling," I suggested.

"I can't give up!" she complained, finally meeting my eyes. "Professor McGonagall has a lot of hope for me and I enjoy all these subjects. And besides, surrendering is not in my dictionary."

"Let me buy you a new one then," I mumbled.

***

As days dipped into weeks, life was becoming really boring. Nothing was happening. I was so nervous since we were coming towards the end of the year and there was still no sign of Black attacking the school again. 

Harry got his broom back, good for him and Slytherin defeated Ravenclaw narrowly which made Wood happy as Gryffindor could still come second if they beat Ravenclaw. Great. The first thing I did when Harry got his broom back was make him and Ron apologise to Hermione. They did, in their very awkward, roundabout way but Hermione forgave them easily and was about to do the introduction to their DADA essay.

"Aren't you old enough to do this yourselves?" I said.

"Well –", murmured Harry.

"Hermione is really good at it...." muttered Ron.

"It's fine, Kat. Really. It is only the intro," soothed Hermione.

"You are practically drowning in work Mione. You don't need to do their stuff for them, they can do it themselves." I said. Both boys looked ashamed, as they should. They knew how much pressure Hermione was under and they still had the audacity to ask her.

"You know what? You two." I said, pointing at Harry and Ron. "Come here with your papers."

They both walked over to the table with their empty rolls of parchment and quills and sat down opposite me.

"I am going to teach you how to do a proper introduction, and you can use this as a scaffold for your future essays so you don't have to annoy Mione, got it?" I said, looking at them incredulously.

They nodded their heads most ardently and waited for me to teach them the basics, so I did. Hopefully this could ease off some of the pressure from Hermione and give Harry and Ron the opportunity to be independent. It took a while, but eventually they got the hang of it and could write pretty decent introductions.

Ron was the first one to leave the table and began walking off to the boy's dormitories. I felt like I was forgetting something though, and it was something really important. Then it clicked. 

I grabbed Hermione's hand and pulled her out of her chair. "I just realised I left my book at the library. Come with me please."

"Oh, um, sure, I guess," she replied, confused at my sudden outburst and sheer desperation to remove her from the room.

As we exited the common room, there was a loud scream of anger.

"Did you hear that?" asked Hermione, turning to look back at the shut door to the Gryffindor Common Room.