6: Path Of Destiny

Merlin and Arthur
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arthur smiled, running his fingers through Merlin’s hair, completely besotted with the boy.

He loved Merlin with every part of his being but knew as long as he was prince, nothing could ever happen between them.

Just as Arthur was about to speak, his bedroom door opened as his father walked through, seeing the two cuddled in the prince’s bed.

Merlin quickly jumped up and started cleaning the room. "What was the meaning of this?" Uther asked as he pointed between the two.

Arthur sat up, resting his back against the headboard. “Merlin was feeling lightheaded, I let him rest for a moment.”

Uther didn't believe a word Arthur was saying. "Doesn't matter. I have arranged a marriage between you and Princess Elena,"

Arthur’s face dropped, losing his breath. “I don’t have any feelings towards her.”

Uther shook his head as he turned to Merlin. “Leave us.” "No," Arthur spoke reaching his hand out and ordering Merlin to stay.

"What you have to say can be said in front of Merlin,"

“The future of Camelot rests on your shoulders. An alliance with Elena would keep this kingdom safe.”

"I refuse to marry her, Father," "You can't refuse. I'm not asking for your permission. You are to marry Princess Elena,"

Arthur stood and took his crown off his head. "I will not marry Princess Elena for I am not a prince,"

Uther gave his son a look, trying to grab his wrist but Arthur wasn’t having it as he took Merlin’s hand, lacing their fingers together.

“I don’t know a lot, but what I do know is I love Merlin.” Uther looked between the two. "Arthur, you are a prince. You can not marry a servant,"

"I don't want to rule a kingdom without Merlin. Therefore, I will be leaving Camelot at once,"

Uther tried protesting but Arthur completely ignored him, pulling his silver brooch from his shirt, handing it to Merlin.

“Pack what we need, and go somewhere safe, I’ll meet you there soon, okay, baby?”

Merlin nodded doing as Arthur said. They talked about this before. Ealdor is where they would go.

Arthur pulled their lips together for a quick kiss, laying their foreheads against each other. “Go. I love you.”

"I love you," Merlin replied before grabbing a bag for Arthur's clothes. He ran out, knowing he had some of Arthur’s clothes in his bedroom.

Arthur pulled his chainmail off, letting it fall to the floor, ignoring his father's eyes.

"You can't be serious, Arthur. Camelot needs a king," Uther spoke. "Find one, then,"

Just as Uther was about to speak, Arthur walked out, closing the door behind him, and making his way to Gaius’ chamber.

"Sire, what can I help you with?" Gaius spoke. "You don't have to call me that. I denounced my title as prince. I will not marry or rule with someone I do not love,"

“Merlin mentioned that he left not too long ago.” "Then you know I will need help getting to Ealdor,"

Gaius nodded, grabbing a medical bag and handing it to Arthur. “It’s got all you need in there. Merlin’s magic will be stronger now he’s alone with you. Go, sire. He’s waiting for you.”