26: Control

Arthur and Merlin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Arthur had no idea why he kept having recurring dreams. Camelot castle was engulfed in flames as Arthur watched the ones he loved being burned alive.

He wished he could understand why it was always the same. The same faces in pain, he just didn’t know why.

Arthur heard crying and turned to find Merlin. His hand reached out for Arthur. "Merlin!" Arthur screamed trying to reach his hand out.

The candle flame burned higher catching the curtains on fire. “Merlin!” He screamed again, watching as the curtains burned. “MERLIN!”

The door to Arthur's chamber slammed open revealing Merlin. Thinking quickly Merlin did the only thing that came to mind, as he grabbed the bucket of water, that was left over from Arthur's bath.

He chucked it over the curtains, quickly putting the fire out as Arthur continued screaming for him, seemingly stuck in his nightmare. “No…Merlin!"

"Arthur," Merlin spoke as he grabbed Arthur's hand. "Wake up," Arthur's eyes fluttered open slightly flashing gold for a split second.

Merlin noticed, giving the blonde a look as he sat in the bed. “It’s okay, Arthur. I’m here.”

Arthur's eyes opened staring at Merlin. He noticed the curtains were burned and water was covering the floor.

He looked at Merlin grabbing the boy's face and looking him all over. “I saw you die…” Arthur whispered, making sure his servant was really there.

"I'm fine, Arthur. I'm right here," “What’s happening?” "I don't know," Merlin answered honestly.

Merlin stroked Arthur’s fingers with his knuckles, trying to calm him down. “How long have you been having these nightmares? This isn’t the first time you cried for me.”

"A few weeks," Arthur spoke playing with his fingers nervously. "What do you dream about?"

"Camelot burning to the ground. I-I hear screaming as everyone I care about is burning to death," Arthur was starting to tear up.

"I-I can't move. It's like I'm forced to watch. I hear you screaming and reaching out for me, but most of your skin has been burned off,"

Merlin nodded, trying to keep the boy calm. “It might be trying to tell you something that’ll happen soon. If we can get to the bottom of this, maybe it’ll stop.”

"You need to sleep. You have training in the morning. I can talk to Gaius then," Merlin spoke.

"I-I can't sleep, Merlin," “What if I stay with you tonight? Maybe it’ll help knowing I’m with you.”

Arthur nodded lifting the cover and allowing Merlin to climb under after removing his shoes.

Merlin wrapped an arm around the boy, holding him close. “It’ll be okay, Arthur, I promise.”

Merlin thought it would help but Arthur had the same recurring dream. His nails dug into Merlin's arm as he screamed.

The shutter slammed open and closed, papers flying around the room. "Merlin!" Arthur screamed.

Merlin stroked the boy’s hair, talking softly. “Shh, it’s alright. I’m right beside you.”

Arthur's screams calmed down as he whimpered softly. Merlin hated seeing Arthur like this, he wondered if he would be able to coach Arthur through this.

He couldn’t help but wonder if the boy had magic, especially as his eyes glowed gold.

Arthur relaxed into Merlin's arms. Merlin didn't sleep well as he made sure Arthur was okay.