𝟬𝟬𝟯. falling into a hole

chapter three
falling into a hole

AFTER DINNER, Quintus made everyone suit up in combat armor

AFTER DINNER, Quintus made everyone suit up in combat armor. Everyone was in the dining hall while Quintus explained what they would be doing.

"You will be in teams of two," Quintus announced. Gabriella and Melody smirked at eachother, as everyone else tried grabbing their friends. However, Quintus had other plans and yelled, "Which have already been chosen."

"AWWW" Everyone complained.

"Your goal is simple: collect the gold laurels without dying. The wreath is wrapped in a silver package, tied to the back of one monster. There are six monsters. Each has a silk package. You must find the wreath before the other teams. And, of course . . . you will have to slay the monsters to get it, and stay alive."

The game seemed pretty straightforward. Everyone seemed excited to participate. Although Gabriella would much rather prefer to be with Melody, (or Annabeth), she'll be totally okay with whoever her partner is.

(She would however prefer it not being Percy.)

"I will now announce your partners." Quintus said. "There will be no trading. No switching. No complaining."

"Watch Annabeth and Percy be partners." Gabriella rolled her eyes and whispered to Melody.

"I don't know," Melody shrugged. "I feel like he might switch things up."

"I bet you ten drachma they'll be together."

Quintus read off the names on the scroll, and most pairs weren't at all surprising, like Silena and Beckendorf, as well as the Stoll brothers. He read off more names, until finally he said a pairing that captured Gabriella and Melody's attention.

"Percy Jackson with Melody Lewis." Melody's eyes widened, as well as Gabriella's. Gabriella then gave her a sympathetic look, and told her, "Goodluck with him."

So if Percy isn't with Annabeth, that means Gabriella might have a chan-

Percy was standing by Annabeth across the room. Percy nodded to whatever Annabeth was saying to him, but his gaze was focused on Melody. Melody looked at Gabriella almost panicked.

"Why are you so nervous? It's literally just Percy." Gabriella raised her eyebrow. To her surprise, Melody blushed slightly.

Sure Melody could be shy at times, but she wasn't this shy. Gabriella has seen the girl sing in front of the whole camp during sing-alongs. She's seen her screaming her heart out to Taylor Swift songs during karoake without a care in the world of who was watching. Yet somehow, being partnered with Percy Jackson was more scarier.