𝟬𝟭𝟳. an epic camp-halfblood battle

chapter seventeen
an epic camp-halfblood battle

chapter seventeenan epic camp-halfblood battle

   THEY LANDED IN THE MIDDLE of cabin area. The group was instantly met by Chiron, a fat satyr named Silenus, and a couple of archers from the Apollo cabin. Gabriella practically jumped off her pegasus at the sight of Melody, and immediately pulled her into a tight hug.

"Thank the gods you're okay," Gabriella breathed in relief.

Melody chuckled. "Why wouldn't I be?"

As they pulled away, Gabriella noticed something off about her. Her smile wasn't quite reaching her eyes, and she looked tired. She didn't have time to question her any further, as Percy began explaining what happened to Chiron.

"I feared as much," Chiron replied. "We must hurry. Hopefully you have slowed down the Titan lord, but his vanguard will still be coming through. They will be anxious for blood. Most of our defenders are already in place. Come!"

"Wait a moment," Silenus demanded. "What of the search for Pan? You are almost three weeks overdue, Grover Underwood! Your searcher's license is revoked!"

Grover took a deep breath, as he stood up. He looked Silenus straight in the eye. "Searcher's licenses don't matter anymore. The great god Pan is dead. He has passed on and left us his spirit."

"What?" Silenus's face turned beet red. "Sacrilege and lies! Grover Underwood, I will have you exiled for speaking thus!"

"It's true," Percy spoke up. "We were there when he died. All of us."

"Impossible! You are all liars! Nature-destroyers!"

Chiron studied Grover's face. "We will speak of this later."

"We will speak of it now!" Silenus said. "We must deal with this—"

"Silenus," Chiron cut in. "My camp is under attack. The matter of Pan has waited two thousand years. I fear it will have to wait a bit longer. Assuming we are still here this evening."

On that happy note, Chiron readied his bow and galloped to the woods, leaving the rest of them to follow as best they could.

It was the biggest military operation Gabriella had ever seen. Everyone was dressed in full armor, definitely not for capture the flag. The Hephaestus cabin made traps around the entrance to the Labyrinth: razor wire, pits with pots of Greek fire, rows of sharpened sticks to deflect a charge. Beckendorf manned two catapults the size of pickup trucks, primed and aimed at Zeus's Fist. The Ares cabin were on the front lines, drilling in phalanx formation with Clarisse calling orders. Apollo and Hermes's cabins were split up around the woods with bows ready, many taking positions in the trees. Even dryads were armed with bows, and the satyrs trotted around with wooden cudgels and shields made of rough tree bark.

Annabeth went to join her siblings from the Athena cabin, who had set up a command tent and directed operations. A gray banner with an owl fluttered outside the tent. Their security chief, Argus, stood guard at the door. Gabriella saw her own siblings running around straightening everybody's armor and offering to comb the tangles out of their horsehair plumes. Dionysus was nowhere to be found, but his two blond twin sons ran around providing all the sweaty warriors with beverages.