𝟬𝟭𝟬. soon that attitude may be her doom

chapter ten
soon that attitude may be her doom

IT WAS CLEAR the next morning, that no one got a goodnight sleep

IT WAS CLEAR the next morning, that no one got a goodnight sleep. Sleeping in a demon ranch house would not be in Gabriella's top places to spend the night. She probably got one hour of sleep total, and she felt like a mess. She and the others then went to the cattle guard and said their goodbyes.

"Nico, you could come with us," Percy blurted out.

Everyone looked worn down, but Nico especially. He wore a black robe, which likely belonged to Geryon because of how large it was. His eyes were red, and his face looked chalky. Nico then shook his head.

"I need time to think." Nico's eyes didn't meet Percy's, but it was clear that he was still angry.

"Nico," Gabriella told him softly. "Bianca just wants what's best for you."

Gabriella put a hand on his shoulder. Nico allowed it for a moment, then pulled away and trudged up the road toward the ranch house. Gabriella could've sworn she saw the morning mist cling to him as he walked.

"I'm worried about him," Annabeth said. "If he starts talking to Minos's ghost again-"

"He'll be all right," Eurytion promised. He was wearing new jeans and a clean Western shirt and he also trimmed his beard. He also had on Geryon's boots. "The boy can stay here and gather his thoughts as long as he wants. He'll be safe, I promise."

"What about you?" Percy asked.

Eurytion scratched Orthus behind one chin, then the other. "Things are going to be run a little different on this ranch from now on. No more sacred cattle meat. I'm thinking about soybean patties. And I'm going to befriend those flesh-eating horses. Might just sign up for the next rodeo."

That idea made Gabriella shudder.

"Well, good luck." Percy nodded, a little uncomfortable.

"Yep." Eurytion spit into the grass. "I reckon you'll be looking for Daedalus's workshop now?"

Annabeth's eyes lit up. "Can you help us?"

Eurytion studied the cattle guard, and it seemed like the subject of Daedalus's workshop made him uncomfortable. "Don't know where it is. But Hephaestus probably would."

"That's what Hera said," Annabeth agreed. "But how do we find Hephaestus?"

Eurytion pulled something from under the collar of his shirt. It was a smooth silver disk on a silver chain, like a necklace. The disk had what looked like a thumbprint in the middle. He handed it to Annabeth.