𝟬𝟭𝟮. an angry annabeth, a tired gabriella, and a confused percy

chapter twelve
an angry annabeth, a tired gabriella,
and a confused percy

THE FIVE STAGES OF GRIEF were denial, anger, bargaining, sadness, and acceptance

THE FIVE STAGES OF GRIEF were denial, anger, bargaining, sadness, and acceptance. After the past two weeks, Gabriella can say she has experienced all but one: acceptance. She goes all the way to sadness, then comes right back down to denial.

Percy's last words to her were quite literally, You can't get rid of me that easily. So didn't that count for something?

It's been two weeks since only Gabriella and Annabeth returned from the Labyrinth. Annabeth was a mess, and Gabriella barely kept it together. They immediately went to Chiron, and Gabriella explained to him what happened. Then they reunited with Melody, who hugged both of girls fiercely. Annabeth started crying again, but Gabriella just felt numb. It wasn't until Gabriella returned to her cabin, that she fully broke down into Silena's arms. Everything that happened in the past few chaotic days came rushing back to her. 

Gabriella's never experienced grief before, since she never really had much people to lose. She had Annabeth, Silena and the rest of her siblings, Melody, Sally and Paul (who became parental figures to her), and her dad, who she basically resented until a few years ago.

Percy was also on that list. They weren't blood related, but he was like her brother. Maybe she could've done a better job of letting him know that he meant something to her. She never wanted to admit it out loud, but if she ever saw him again, maybe she would find a way to say it to him.

Now it was Percy's funeral. In the past weeks, Gabriella hasn't seen a lot of Annabeth. They'd see eachother at meal times, and during activities, but she always seemed so distant. And sad. In a way, it kind of felt like she was avoiding her.

Gabriella didn't blame her though. It's not like she was gonna bounce back from this right away. Annabeth knew Percy longer, and was his best friend. She also had a massive crush on him, and he died right after they shared a romantic kiss.

Talk about tragic romance.

Gabriella stood in the crowd with the rest of campers at the amphitheater. Gabriella rested her head on Melody's shoulder. She pretty much zoned out throughout Chiron's speech. If she paid attention, it would become even more real. And she'd actually have to say goodbye.

"-assume he's dead," Chiron said.  "After so long a silence, it is unlikely our prayers will be answered. I have asked one of his best surviving friends to do the final honors."

Annabeth walked forward to burn Percy's shroud. She took a long green silk burial cloth, embroidered with a trident, then set it to flames.

Then she turned to face the audience. She looked like a mess. Her eyes were all puffy from crying, and her hair, as always, was not combed. Even so, Gabriella thought she looked beautiful.