Chapter 24 - Part 1

***

SOREN was cursed and might die any day — and these past few days he had been racking his brain for other things that could be worse.

He can think of none. And that's the worst part of it.

They all decided to keep it a secret. Only a few in Raffe's closest circle knew about their circumstances. Soren's family, except Malin, had no idea about the curse. Raffe also chose not to tell the previous King Alizade for fear of his reaction if he knew the truth about the death of his late wife. He'd rather have his father enjoy his vacation in their villa in Ianthe than learn about the vile curse that was currently tied in their bloodline.

The fact that Xayide confidently said she could break the curse is a glimmer of hope for all of them.

Never mind the fact that her bizarre existence in Ruemreon caused a lot of curious stares and whispers from the palace staff and nobles, or that they were calling her a walking rainbow behind her back to which she did not seem to care — Xayide was undeniably the only one who can end these wretched things that keep happening around them. So to explain why she's roaming around the palace to the old farts of the council — as Raffe would always like to call them — Xayide became Soren's distant cousin who came to visit him after learning about his wedding.

In order to break the curse, her first demand was to collect a drop of blood from every Andalva in the country — from the king himself down to his very distant relatives in Istel and Rathaya. It would be a massive undertaking and would require a lot of manpower and resources, but Raffe promised it would be done as quickly as possible.

A day after Xayide came to the palace, she gave Soren a concoction and promised that as long as he drinks it every day, his episodes where he attacks Raffe while in a dream-like state will not occur again.

"Are you sure?" Soren asked when she handed him a cup.

"I'm not forcing you to drink it, dear boy. You can choose whether to believe me or not. But this knowledge of mine will be of use to you if you know how to use it. I'm even letting you without having you say it to my face."