Chapter 16 - Part 2

SOREN found himself being dressed in heavy white robes lined with soft fur and embroidered with dark gold streaks by the maidservants, headed by Vanda, who seemed almost more thrilled about the handfasting than Soren himself.

The maidservants swept up his long hair in an elegant arrangement of intricate braids and decorated it with sapphires and diamonds that were really making his head heavy. The imperial earring was a bright contrast to his clothes and pale skin and a perfect complement to the bits and pieces attached to his hair.

Raffe brought the gems from their journey and insisted Soren put it on that night. Soren highly suspected that Raffe liked to see him with sapphires. One of these days, he's going to wear nothing but sapphires and forbid Raffe to touch him just so he could hear those growly, possessive noises he made in bed. He smirked at the thought.

"You're beautiful, Highness," Vanda muttered as she finished arranging the blue sash of Soren's clan.

Soren beamed at her in the mirror. "This is because of you, Vanda. And you're endless fussing," he said as Vanda applied final touches to his person.

"Oh, stop that." She giggled. "We're all aware that our crown prince is taken with you because you're quite charming." Unable to respond directly to that, Soren simply shook his head, offering her a gentle smile. Vanda chuckled even more. "And you're taken with him as well!"

Soren rolled his eyes.

"You, woman, are incorrigible."

"I know how you missed him these past few months, Your Highness. Sometimes, I would catch you looking at his portrait in the royal wing, or staring into space while playing with your earring. I even saw you that one time when you stopped in front of his chamber before going to your room," she said as she fussed over his hair once again, putting stray strands in place and adding more jewels.

Soren pursed his lips. "You talked a lot, Vanda."

Vanda only snickered and went on. "We all witnessed the way you two met at the White Garden. And everyone is aware that once you annoy Prince Raffelar at the start, you're likely to become close to him later on. So you're off to a promising start since then."

"That is the most absurd and messed up logic I have ever heard."

"It is quite true."

Soren snorted. "Whatever you say. Can you fetch me some water, please? I'm feeling a bit thirsty."

"You mean, you're nervous."

He rolled his eyes and laughed softly. "Yes, I am nervous. It's not every day you get to marry a crown prince. Now, the water?"

"Yes, Your Highness," Vanda grinned at him. "I'll be right back. If you need further assistance, the servants are just outside your door."

"Thanks, Vanda."

She patted his shoulder and looked at him in the mirror one more time. "I'm happy our prince gets to marry you, Highness, and not a snappy, bitchy woman. Many have tried to approach him in the past because of his title and fortune, you know? Both men and women."

"How can you be so sure that I'm not after his title and fortune then?"

"Oh please." Vanda gave him a lopsided smile that was not very appropriate for a lady. "If you are, he wouldn't choose you. Or marry you the second he arrives home. Our prince is pretty smart, you know? Strong and smart. Gosh, who wouldn't want him?" And with a swish of long skirts, she left with two more maidservants and Soren was left alone to stare at himself in the mirror.

An hour later, with two El Casin guards on his heels, Soren left the sanctuary of his chamber and walked towards the private temple of the king. He was about to turn a corner when he saw a group of El Casin guards dragging prisoners towards the eastern part of the palace, probably to the larger dungeons.