Chapter 25 - Part 1

***

AS THE sun began its slow descent toward the horizon, Raffe watched the entire sky transform into a breathtaking canvas of vibrant colors and ethereal beauty. The fading sunlight bathed everything it touched in a gentle, honeyed glow. Each passing moment seemed to intensify the brilliance of the scene as if nature itself was aware of the fleeting magic it was conjuring. Sadly, it was not a day where he could freely appreciate the sunset.

"Your Majesty," Shanzael said softly and shut the door behind him. Raffe turned away from the window and looked at his secretary. "High Consort Soren is back. Shall I call for him to—"

"No," he said. "I'll go to him. He'll be dying to take a bath after travelling so I know where to find him. You can take a break now, Shanzael. You've been busy since morning."

"I could say the same to you, Majesty."

Raffe walked the castle's corridor in wide strides, following the path that would lead him to the royal quarters.

As usual, news traveled fast in Ruemreon. Nal Amel lost a prince, and the day after, King Barius who was conscious for merely a few minutes, succumbed to his disease and followed his firstborn son. Prince Damien was then crowned and the brewing civil war in that country was never heard again.

In Soren's last letter, he conveyed that while the populace mourned the loss of their royals, they were also finding inspiration to revive the once-vibrant community of Nal Amel and start anew with their new ruler.

Raffe held back an aggrieved sigh. Sending Soren to that country was really not the best decision he had made as High King. Not because he lacked trust that Soren would do an amazing job there, but because Raffe knew his consort tended to care too much regardless of the situation.

"Soren," he called out when he saw him in front of their room.

Soren turned to him, his eyes dull and tired, but he still gave Raffe a smile.