Chapter 17 - Part 3

"HAVE YOU... decided what to do... with the... remaining... prisoners?" Jadel asked as he hefted his sword and swung dangerously near Raffe's ear. Raffe was quick to react, though. He gracefully shifted to the side with ease. When he noticed that his cousin's eyes wandered slightly away to something behind him, Raffe used that second to grin and swing his Tar quick and hard to Jadel's Talel. He felt the vibration of the impact and his grin turned to a full smile when Jadel cursed and dropped his sword.

"I believe someone told me never to let my guard down or avoid being distracted during a fight."

"Oh, hush. You know damn well I never let my guard down," Jadel replied and bent down to pick up his sword.

"Distracted, then," Raffe concluded, accepting the water the servant offered him. "Pray tell what strayed you away from your focus, cousin."

"It's not a what," Rihan, who was silently watching their sparring, muttered as he snickered behind them. "The question that you should be asking right now is who."

"Oh?" Raffe quirked a brow. He regarded his cousin with amused eyes. "This is news to me. And who's this unfortunate soul you've had your eyes on?" He turned and his eyebrows shot up at the sight of the High King's pretty, little secretary who was discussing something with the guards and servants in the hall. "Shanzael, is it?"

Risam's laugh rang out as she joined them and stole Rihan's drink. "That pretty thing's entirely too good for him."

"I have to agree." Raffe wiped the glistening sweat on his brow and pushed back stray hairs away from his forehead. "Too smart. Too beautiful."

"And totally out of his league," Rihan interjected.

"Well, thank you, beloved cousins, for that sweet encouragement," Jadel grumbled and rolled his eyes when they all laughed. "See this is why I never share this bit of information with you all."

"Remember the days when you were teasing me about this kind of stuff?" Raffe sheathed Tar and joined his other cousins under the shade of the balcony, sitting beside the quiet Raif. "This is me getting my long-awaited revenge."

"Your consort's cheekiness had definitely rubbed off on you."

"Marriage does that to people," Raffe replied.

"Yes, and a warm bed and a very stunning consort to warm it further at night."

Chuckles bubbled richly from Raffe's chest. "Yes, but don't let him hear you say that. I strongly advise not to test his temper especially when he's got something on his hands."

They laughed again.

"Where is he, by the way?" Risam asked.

"With Isara. I swear those two became inseparable since Soren passed the exam and he began helping in the Healer's Ward."

"You're just bitter because your consort is not giving you his full attention." Jadel snickered.

Raffe threw a walnut at his face.

It was a sunlit day of early spring. The temperature was still a bit cold, but spring had already pushed it back to moderate and the gentle breeze that accompanied it dried the lingering sweat in Raffe's neck. The bare garden around Ruemreon was already showing the bloom of the warm season, specks of pink, orange, and yellow, and the vivid color of green grasses coated the ground. The palace halls buzzed with servants walking back and forth, preparing the whole place for the Festival of Lights.

"So what's going to happen to the remaining prisoners?" Jadel asked again when they sobered up.

Raffe shrugged. "You mean those boys?"