7. Big Mistake

You woke up the next morning to an empty hospital room but your school stuff were on the ground. Why? You looked around and all you could see was the outside of Casey's house and you looked next to you and it felt like you were looking at Casey who was giving you eyes full of pride knowing that you were going to survive and not her. You rubbed your eyes and tried sitting up but your hip and stabbed shoulder stung making you sit still. "Shit" you mumbled. A nurse and Deputy Dewey came in. You remember Tatum telling you about him during one of the period you had with her yesterday, he's her brother. "Hi, hun" the nurse smiled as she sat on the bed.

"You feeling alright" you nodded a little and she took a deep breath. "So your injuries aren't that bad actually..your hip is just badly bruised and your shoulder was stabbed and we stitched it up and wrapped it up, so only change it when you shower, okay?" You nodded and smiled a little. She left the bandage wrap on the stand. "I also brought you some water and a pain killer pill to help you out" you took the pill and drank the water. She smiled and walked away and Dewey sat on the bed next.

"You okay after last night?" He asked. You shook your head, "is Casey alright?" He also shook his head. "I'm afraid not" he replied. You took a deep breath to hold back tears but they ended up pouring out and he held your hand. "That's definitely my fault..-" "it definitely isn't your fault" he said back. "You tried saving her from the looks of if. You were pretty much passed out from tiredness of fighting and injuries, we're all proud of you, kid" he comforted you as you cried. "Yeah, but she didn't deserve it.." he nodded in agreement. "Things happen and I promise that we'll find this bastard" he said.

"Where's my mom?" "She's out in the waiting room" "can I please see her?" He nodded and got up and left. You just sat there and cried. Oh, poor Casey. Your mom then came running in and she hugged you tightly. "Are you okay, hun..?!" She was crying. You nodded as you also cried. "I'm so sorry..I was there to get you out..." she said as she hugged you more. "Mom...why are my school stuff here?" Your mom also looked confused and worried, she looked at Dewey. "We spoke with Himbry and we tired telling him that we can't quite bring you there unless further notice but, um...-" "you're not gonna tell me that she has to go to school after that..!" Mom stood up.

"We're really sorry..." your eyes widened and more tears came down your cheek. "No..!" You shook your head. "She can't go after what happened, I'm not letting her!" Mom said to him. "I know and we're really sorry but..sometimes, money talks.." no fucking way, Himbry paid the police bring you to school, ain't no fucking way. You just sat there and stared at him. Your mom then looked at you. "No..! Mom, you can't just let them force me there.." you cried. "I'm not letting them, hun, but listen to me," she sat on the bed, "I will come and pick you up early every day for the rest of the school year, even on graduation day" she whispered so Dewey wouldn't hear.

You just looked at her with relief in your eyes and she took your hands. "Trust me on this, honey" she whispered again. She kissed your head softly and nodded signaling for you to "agree" to get up and go. You smiled a little making her smile. "That's my girl" she mouthed. She left the room and Dewey signaled for you to get ready and he also left the room. Picked up early every day for the rest of the school year, he definitely won't be able to get you.