| Prologue |

The night was dark. 

the moon shining dimly through the obscuring clouds . 

The rhythmic iron heeled marching of the guards echoing against the stone floor while the kitchen cat continued to purr softly by the open window.

The light of lanterns hanging on each window guided her out of her room, padded footsteps making no noise against the carpeted floors of the Royal corridors. 

A hood covered her face, knives clinking against her waist as her hand closed around the bags of gold hidden below the loose paintings in the halls.

The guards switched in exactly two minutes , she was on time.

Fingers curling against her side , she startled at the shadow appearing from the other end , pushing herself against the stone wall as a lone man made his way across, his eyes drooping ever so slightly as he disappeared to the other end of the room.
Giving a sigh of relief and releasing her breathe, before moving once again. 

Out , she needed to get out.

One minute now , the window was small but she had to make it, it was her last chance they're be after her soon, of course they're notice her missing once the maids came in with her clothes for tomorrow, the event as after all the most important one for her kingdom. 

Even more than her.

The gates were right in front of her now, glinting in the moonlight, left empty as the man made his way towards the stables.

Now.

The hood covered her face, keeping herself close to the shadows casted by the castle, finger reaching for the gates, eyes shining hungrily with the thought of freedom and a life she could make her own.

"Who goes there?"

Frozen, she slowly reached for her knife, careful to not make any sudden movements.

"Hello? I said-" 

He had seen her now - she was sure - and now he came closer , his eyes squinting to get a better look at the figure crouching in front of him.

She struck.

His mouth muffled before he could talk once again, there was no time to move as the cold blade kissed his neck, heavy breathing being heard close to his ear.

"You should not have come" 

The voice was scratchy from disuse, goosebumps spreading across his skin as the weapon dig deeper 

"I did not plan on doing this"

The knife struck deep, going straight across his throat, a whimper leaving him as she let him down, a hand falling across his stomach before being dragged towards the gutter running below their feet.

Silence falling over once again, the blood sticking to her hands as she threw the guard in, no remorse in her eyes as she turned around once again.

The interval had passed, now she would have to run.

And so she did.

☾ ☾ ☾

"Five golds Miss, only for you!"

"One of a kind! No other one -"

"This necklace is said to grant luck to its wearer!"

"May I -"

"Who-"

The market was abuzz with people and music , the smells of different foods and drinks mixed with the shouting of traders across the grounds as people made their way over to various stalls with spices and jewels, eyes catching on various trinkets and objects along the way and objects slipping from one hand to another in mere seconds.

A lone girl made her way across the cluttered road, looking around with worried glances as the adrenaline that had coursed through her body now stopped , the harsh reality of what she had done falling in her with every footstep she took. 

But she wouldn't go back , she couldn't.

Steadying herself with the sound of her heartbeat and the tune of her favourite song playing in her kind she continued towards the inns. 

It was late and she needed a place to stay before making her way out of town, the guards must have already spread through the town, their princess had gone missing and the king was livid.

"Make way! Make way!"

Scoffs follows the striped men as they marched down the alleyways, scattering the people and shoving a few out of their way, sharp eyes looking for the precious princess hiding in the shadows of her own city.

Her feet made their way towards the inn she had seen on her limited passings through the town. The handmade sign hanging on the top of the light blue coloured building with its balconies and terraces.

 Its name was nothing extraordinary, the name "Valkyrie" signified a refuge for fleeting travellers and weary merchants who preferred paying a few extra silvers to stay in a place of higher comfort. 

She pushed open the door, the smell of alcohol and half finished dinners hitting her heightened senses as soon as she walked in.

The crude lighting consisted of a large number of candles and a bulb that sat behind the receptionists desk, the person behind the counter being no older than her - give or take a few years - and was busy arranging the open files and coins that lay scattered across his desk. 

Angrily swiping at the falling pens and exclaiming when the residents engaged into conversation, smiling slightly before falling back into his regular pattern of tidying up the little wooden area. 

"I would like a room, please" 

"That will cost four golds per week" 

The boy behind the table grinned, sharp features catching against the light while his brown eyes sparkled, a hand running through his light brown - leaning towards golden - hair before falling back over his eyes.

"Two"

A scoff echoed from the far corner of the bar, followed by a hooting laugh of disgust and lust, loud jeers followed as the drunk men looked at their conversation in delight. 
The boy scoffed, waving his hands at them, as they turned back to their drinks. 

He did not seem to mind. 

Her eyes snapped up, one hand curling under the table, finding the metal of his sword and the iron making up his bones.
She watched him wince at the sensation that spread through his chest and heard the crack of a cartilage, and the hiss of his sheath. 

"Three"

Her fingers fell stiff.

She could not argue.

"Done"

The man toppled over .