| 23 |

"Noscitur a sociis"

- It is known by the company it keeps

☾ ☾ ☾

"You are ignoring me."

Aeris did not expect him to come see her. Hell, she didn't expect him to stay in civil conversation for more than the five seconds it took for him to stab her before throwing her overboard.

He stood in front of her in silence. Arms crossed and eyes gazing straight past her and into the distance with the intensity of a lion toying with its prey. It pricked her skin, mouth parting in shock and fear as she couldn't bring herself to speak.

"I thought you would come to see me at least once on that deathbed," his tone was light, the wind toying with his hair and the water in his glass swirling like a miniature hurricane in the silver. "I would have done the same for you."

"Aren't you calm?" Aeris whispered, trying to hide the harrowing of her breath and back to her facade she had created since the very beginning of her life. 

"I've gone through worse" if he noticed, he didn't voice his thoughts- instead it continued to linger in her mind- fingers tightening around the wooden cup.

"I almost killed you!" Aeris couldn't hold it in, the words bursting out of her in shock and pent up frustration at his easygoing attitude. "I almost killed you,"

She had never said it out loud. It had alway been a thought left in her mind, an incessant mosquito that never left. It almost broke the last stronghold she had left to admit in.

"Yes," he didn't care, "I suppose you did"

"What-?" There was no time to scoff, no time to gasp at the outrageousness he presented with every word before she doubled over.

Aeris felt the fire creep up her veins, eyes hooded as she moaned in pain. It lasted for a second, yet the damage was done. He is next to me her an instant, leaning down with his hand on her back and the water in his cup falling back down as he hands it to to her crouched figure. She can't bring myself to accept it.

"Drink" it is a command, she didn't want to know what he would do if she denied it.

The water is cool, running in a clear stream down her throat as he continued to stare."Thank you" the words are bitter yet true, and he nods-a hum escaping his lips before he begins to walk away.

"Here's some advice," Aeris listens, hands shivering against the metal. He talks it off with the blow of the breeze, ruffling his hair and mouth set in a grim line as he points a hand to the rest of the crew.

"Talk to them. You're stuck with us silver, might as well try to fix your relations."

☾ ☾ ☾

"Hi" Aeris tried, calming her breath after her encounter with the stubborn boy who had walked off at his fastest, yet she had managed to catch up- priding her long legs and his height and almost knocking into him before catching herself a hairs breadth away and then promptly turning around. 

"Hey?" San was confused, tilting his head to catch her eyes and smiling from his elevated position hanging precariously of the edge of the starboard- holding onto the mast with one hand and floating slightly above the ground. 

"I'm sorry" 

"For what?" 

"Eve-"

"Actually I know" San cut her off, jumping down to the deck before collapsing onto the ground- lifting the dust off the wood with a flick of his finger and taking off his gloves. "So don't tell me"