| 32 |

"Capre Noctem"

- Seize the night

☾ ☾ ☾

Aeris was floating. 

She was stuck in her memories. They flowed past her like wine, flickering and fading but ever so prominent as she reached for one after the other, a desperate cry leaving her lips at the smiling faces- happy faces that surrounded her yet never managed to grab her with their outstretched hands. 

"What did they teach you about pirates now?" The king looked away from his paintings, eyes furrowing on the picture of a ship that decorated his daughters canvas. 
"Miss Oh said that they are bad and must be killed at once" the girl dutifully relayed, remembering the conviction in her teachers eyes as she had uttered those words. "I saw this ship in the story books, they said its how pirates look and the ship is called- uh, I forgot" 
"The Nautilus, that's the name of the ship." Her father looked away vacantly, "So you believe all pirates are bad?" 
"Are they not?" Aeris's eyes widened, innocent expression morphing in confusion. "Miss Oh said that I must hate pirates, they never do anything good except kill people" 
"But pirates created this kingdom, they are the reason we are alive and have such a wonderful island to look after, what do we do about those ones?" 

"Dad?" the scene had shifted. She was walking down the stable path, he was supposed to meet her there today. They always went riding on harvest days. But the stables were empty, the horses still tied to the walls and the familiar happy faces of the stable boys now replaced with grim expressions as they gazed nervously at the new arrival behind the confused girl. 
"Princess-" Sehun began, hand resting on his sword hilt and eyes downcast. " The queen is waiting for you outside"
"But my father-" Aeris began- "we are supposed to go out today."
"Aeris-" the girl flinched at the familiar yet cold voice, the soldiers had disappeared, she noticed. Now she was alone with the queen, and she didn't like her. "The King is dead" 

"No-"

Aeris's eyes flew open, a gasp escaping her lips before turning into dry heaves and bleary glances at her surroundings. Her skin prickles, the blanket over her suffocating her as she scrambled backwards, throwing it off and emitting a surprised look from the blonde haired boy who sat a few feet away. 

"Aeris!" he exclaimed, eyes shining in delight while she squinted, trying to get her bearings. There was nothing in her mind, a blank white space taking over her head like a fog- "You're finally awake!" 

"Who-" it took seconds for it all to come back, sharp and clear as if she had been stabbed with a needle, her hands spasmed at the sudden attack- kicking her legs and hands immediately crashing onto her ears. 

"Yeosang," she breathed out- lips dry and throat parched as the boy smiled in recognition. "What happened? I don't-"

Someone cleared their throat, Aeris turned in the direction, disoriented yet not missing a scowling Wooyoung who crossed his arms and glared playfully. "Feeling left out here" 

She smiled, wincing at the blood that coated her lips and gratefully taking the glass from a worried Yeosang who already had begun to fret about the injuries into the ears of a suddenly deaf Aeris, who seemed to only be focused on the bursting in of the crew members one after the other- not forgetting their relieved expressions as the greeted her- some affectionately and some- 

"Aeris" Mingi howled as he entered, collapsing onto the bed and clutching onto the girl into his large arms, making her wince as a sudden pain made its way through her ribs. "I thought you were dead" he sniffled, not letting her go as she awkwardly patted his back while Wooyoung cackled at the sight and Yunho silently smacked his head.