| 33 |

" Non ducor, duco '

- I am not led, I lead

☾ ☾ ☾

Wooyoung had prepared the drinks. 

The hull echoed with the crow of seagulls while the nine sat with grim faces, surrounding a hesitant Aeris who shuffled her feet gently against the ground before she could speak. 

"The kraken was waiting for me" The first line itself felt absurd to say, the incredulous expression she had expected already making their appearance but she continued. 

"It was as if it was speaking to me, and then- it kept on talking about how I had to fulfil my purpose and how one should not fear death, but then at the very end it said that Wonderland accepts its visitors on the eve of the mare nostrum?" 

"The mare nostrum?" Seonghwa had been silent the whole time, ignoring the small bouts of laughter that echoed from around him- a frown of concentration on his features but now- they were replaced with a distant tone, as if he was lost in his thoughts. 

"Hwa-" The atmosphere seemed to have shifted at the words, San sluggishly removed his arm from the bottle and put it on the raven haired boys shoulder in a tender way- a look of alarm crossed Yunho's face and all she could do was remain silent. 

"Are you sure?" he looked straight at her and she almost gasped, the dead look in the boys eyes could never be forgotten- haunted black eyes. 

"I-" her skin prickled at the stare, feet shuffling once again as she looked back and forth in terrified silence. "It's what-"

"The Mare Nostrum- i've heard about it" Hongjoong suddenly stood onto his feet, head held high as if sniffing the air and Seonghwa turned around in surprise. "Why don't you go check our directions? I have a feeling we're tilted too far starboard" 

"I'm fine" the boy muttered, biting his lip and sinking onto the ground again. Aeris cast a look at a stone faced Yunho, who shook his head as she opened her mouth in question. "Continue- please"

"Um-" shaken, she stood up again. "and that is all- I don't have any more details from the encounter- at least I don't remember but-"

"Did you always have a tattoo?" Yeosang cut in abruptly, eyes trained to her waist as the girl frowned. 

"No . . . my father- I mean - I was never allowed for them. Why?"

"Because there is one on your waist" 

"What?" Aeris's eyes widened as she gazed down at her waist, the white cloth protected her privacy but to some extent the waist was see through. Hurriedly she pressed the fabric, hands rubbing against the silk as the boys suddenly whistled and turned to look in other directions. 

And Yeosang was right. 

"That's not possible" Aeris breathed, hands roughly tracing the ink that had made its way onto her skin. "That's not-"

"What does it say?" Hongjoong spoke. 

"Um-" she frowned in concentration. It was a design, one that stretched around her waist in waves that resembled the ocean- yet nestled in between were picture. A small map decorated with a bird that flew above, an hourglass tilted in a thirty degrees angle and- tucked into the laces of her pants was a piece of paper.  

She frowned, there had been no paper when she had gotten up. Yeosang would have seen to it- but then-

"Another ten seconds Aeris or I'll turn around and look at it myself" Hongjoong muttered crossly, legs tapping against the wood impatiently as the girl refused to speak.