| 08 |

"Alis volat propriis"

- She flies with her own wings

☾ ☾ ☾

"What are you doing?" 

Hongjoong's door burst open, the familiar face of Seonghwa burst through, a harrowed expression over his face as he banged his hands down on the table in front of the captain. 

"What is your game Hongjoong?" He groaned, running a hand through his hair as he stared at the boy "why is she here?"

Hongjoong did not seem bothered, his posture the definition of peace as he continued to look at the map that hung on his wall, a hand running over his chin as he mapped the course, quite ignoring the angry boy. 

"Answer me!" 

"She has Death" 

Three words. Three words that threw Seonghwa into a spiral, cutting of his next words as she spluttered out a 'what?' before looking at the latter for a better explanation. 

"and she does not know it" 

"Death? She cannot possible have Death, Hongjoong!" Seonghwa exclaimed "It is impossible" 

"why?" Hongjoong turned, a maniacal look gracing his eyes as he pointed at the books scattered over the room "why not? We have these elements, why should death not?" 

"Its different" 

"how so? We were blessed, so was she. Did you not see?"

 Hongjoong raised his fingers, the water conjuring up a mock duel, the two figures of the girl and the captain engaged in a battle emerging, the glow of the girls eyes as she stumbled backwards was of pure silver, the darkness that had emerged now streams of water that wrapped themselves around Hongjoong's throat. 

"She did that" his voice was a whisper, danger lurking below his carefree tone, "and she doesn't remember it" 

"So?" Seonghwa was bored, his fingers itched to use his powers, to figure out the secrets that lurked in his captains mind. But he contained himself. It was a blatant disuse, he would get to know anyways. 

"She can help us to Wonderland" 

That piqued Seonghwa's interest, he leaned over the table, closer to the table as Hongjoong laid out the chart. 

"She is the key Seonghwa, the most vital piece in it all" 

☾ ☾ 

"Are you really not hungry?" 

The gentle voice of Yeosang filtered through the door. Aeris was sitting in the medical room, legs swinging gently off the bed as the silver haired boy rummaged through his drawers, gentle concern in his voice as he looked at her before turning around once again. 

"Why are you so kind?" 

her voice was light, the question having been one that had bothered her from the moment he had asked her to shelter herself from the strong winds that blew outside in the medical room, having gotten her a piece of apple that lay half eaten in her hands, already turning brown from the exposed air. 

"Must I be harsh?" He replied, continuing his work. 

"I am to be a prisoner here," She kept her tone light, forcing herself to speak in dialect - different from the training of the Royals - like the one she had heard from the crew members "I should be tied in ropes and thrown to the sea"

"That can be arranged, darling" 

"Mingi!"

 Yeosang sighed in exasperation at the red head who tilted his head in a grin as he walked towards the boy, holding out his arm as the cut along with forearm bled through the thin material of his shirt . 

"Hello" 

Aeris muttered a quick hello in return, immediately finding the ground very interesting. 

I kicked him 

Oh dear god

"I shall leave" 

"Wait, no!" Mingi gave her a smile, holding his free arm in front of her "Don't go, I wanted to introduce myself"

"Oh"

"Well, I'm Mingi!" He was extremely proud of it, fierce red hair standing straight up as his scabbard lay empty "and youre a good fighter"

"Thank-you!" She smiled "Im Aeris" 

"Aeris? That a nice name!" His voice was deep, embroidered with happiness and softness as he looked around excitedly, resembling a lost puppy that was making its way around as he held his hand out for her, "and now were friends"

She smiled, eyes narrowing as her lips stretched upwards. A gesture he returned too as Yeosang grinned from the side, enjoying the interaction he was witnessing. 

"Friends"

It was so different, this feeling of friendship. Aeris had been devoid of it, her only company having been the visiting nobles and their snobbish suitors. Her constant companions being the servants who never dared to talk unless spoken to, whos voices seemed to eat themselves as she asked them even the smallest questions. 

"yeah friends!" It made Aeris proud "But I'm sorry for all this," the redhead grinned sheepishly 

"I didn't plan it, it must be tough to be in this situation. I know its not much of a comfort, but the crew does not hate you. It's just different for us, that's all. They might be a little hesitant, but we have powers too!" 

His fingers glowed a bright orange, flames licking at the tips as the red of his eyes glowed in the dark lighting as Aeris stared. Mouth slack as the flames danced over his skin, lighting him up with a halo like that of the fireworks she saw from the castle windows. 

A careless display of magic. Of power. 

Aeris felt it creep up once again, latching itself to the sight in front of her. The feeling of wanting to show him what she could do too threatening to leave her, the grin on his face resembling the thing that she had always feared of herself. 

"What can you do?" 

Aeris couldn't breathe. The fire seemed to creep towards her, lighting itself up her skin as the familiar feeling of losing control threatened to overcome her. Her lips let out a small breath, feet backing themselves away from the fire, from the power. 

"N-nothing" she stumbled, praying that the boys would not notice her panic "I dont know"

Death, Mistress

Show them

"Oh" Mingi extinguished his powers with a twist of his hand, wiping them on his pants before looking at her endearingly, his face slipping into a frown as her knees buckled.

We have been starved too long

Mistress please

"Aeris?" The voice was static, the feet were drums that pounded outside the castle walls every morning, the hands that held her shoulders the twist of the storm that had thrown her off track. "Aeris? Captain! She just-" 

Green eyes. 

Black. 

☾ ☾ ☾

A u t h o r s    N o t e 

Hey Guys!

Question ; whos your ATEEZ bias? 

Mine is Mingi! Like, his voice and the raps are just elite.

Anyways, I hope you liked this chapter! What do you all think of the crew? We've got some mixed reactions here and Aeris is definitely wary of them. 

Please do vote and comment your thoughts and see you in the next chapter!