1

AUTHOR POV

The sun beamed bright at the Mukherjee bungalow. It was as if only Meera could feel the sun already there, she woke up before anyone else, as usual.

She went near the window of their room and looked at their huge green garden and smiled at the little living creatures in the garden. This was her morning routine, admiring nature's creation.

After doing so for about 10 minutes, she slowly turned to her husband who was sleeping on the right side of the bed. Sleeping like a log. She thought in her mind. It was almost 6:30 and it was time to wake Prem up.

"Suniye" she softly whispered while walking towards his sleeping figure. She gently shook his body.

"Premji it's 6:30. Wake up." She was trying her best to wake him up but he didn't move a bit. "Arrey...Maa aapko daantegee. Uthiye naa." She sulked remembering how her mother-in-law scolded Prem for waking up at 7:30.

He suddenly held her hand and kept it on his chest and hugged it. Meera was used to this as he does this every day while trying to wake up. "At least wake up now." She softly whispered in his ears. "Give me 5 minutes, Meera." He whispered back in his deep sleepy voice.

She gently removed her hands from his hold knowing that this gesture was just because he was not in his right senses. He was the complete opposite once awake. She sighed and went to take a shower.

-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-

It's now 7 am and Prem woke up looking for his wife. "Meera" he called for her in his morning voice. She came out of their closet wearing an off-white Anarkali and a cloth covering her wet hair. "Finally you woke up." She said while adjusting her bindi. He stared at her for a minute and replied with a small hmm and left to take a shower. Meera just smiled at his usual behaviour and went down after keeping his outfit ready.

                                  MEERA POV

Each and every smile that I give around him is a lie. A lie that cannot last for long. I pretended to be happy for my family's sake, for his family's sake. But can I put up with this act after his behaviour with me? Even making a simple conversation with him turns complicated because of his replies. If I ask him "how was work?" He replies with a "Uhh..fine".

I understand his personality but a simple reply to your wife won't hurt your pride right? Each and every morning I think of these things and just spoil my mental health. Now I'm going to stop and accept it the way it is. I have his family that treats me like their own. I have them and that's enough for me.

I put aside all these thoughts and went straight into the kitchen. I saw Maa and Jharna talking while leaning on the kitchen counter.

"Good morning!" I greeted them with a huge smile on my face. They greeted me back with a big sigh. The smile on my face soon vanished. "What happened?" I asked them in a worried tone. Maa looked at me and said "it's Jharna's pehli rasoi today aur isne pehle kuch khana banaya nahi. Tho ab what should we do? Because your grandmother won't stop taunting her." I could clearly see the distress on Jharna's face. "Hmm...let's think." I said.

"How about I make it but put a little different ingredients to make it taste different than mine?" I saw hope bounce into Jharna's face. "That's the best idea, Meera." Maa said with satisfaction in her voice. "You both get to making the breakfast and I'll go out and meet my friends in the park" she squealed and left the kitchen. I chuckled at her behaviour and went near Rahul's wife who didn't speak a word other than a "good morning".

"Come on Jharna! Let's get to work?" I said in a cheerful tone to help her get comfortable around me but she just nodded her head. I slowly nudged her shoulder and said "Ayyy Jharna, Kya Hein? Kyu Aisen hogeya ho? Kuch huan kya?" She was hesitant at first but replied "N..Nahi bhabhi...it's just intimidating. This house, these people, just new environment. That's it."

"Acchaa. Toh this is the problem? Don't worry my sweet little Jharna. The men in the family look intimidating but everyone is a sweetheart at the end of the day. If anything ever happens just remember that you have me and your Leher bhabhi okay? Don't panic and just talk to us." I comforted her. She simply smiled and got to work.

When I joined this family, only maa was the one there for me. Yes, everyone treated me well but I was most comfortable with Maa. She treated me like my own mother and I'm her own daughter. I didn't want Leher and Jharna to feel left out in the house because I know what it feels like. So I tried my best to make them comfortable around me. I succeeded with Leher but Jharna came 2 days ago. It'll take her some time to adjust.

AUTHOR POV

While Meera and Jharna were preparing the breakfast, Leher entered the kitchen and hugged Meera from the back surprising her. "Good morning my dear bhabhi!" She said cheerfully. Meera laughed at her actions and nodded her head as a response. Leher went near Jharna and hugged her too. Though Jharna felt awkward, Leher wanted to treat Jharna the same way Meera treated Leher from the start.

They all started preparing for breakfast and Meera did the sweet dish, Kheer, while Jharna gave it some final touches to feel like she did something too. Leher and Meera laughed at her antics and slapped her shoulder.

While they were busy teasing poor little Jharna, the youngest son entered the kitchen. "What are my beautiful bhabhis doing this beautiful morning?" He asked, curious about their laughs. "It's nothing, Rahul. It's a girls thing." Meera replied while trying her best to wink. "Hooo...meri shaadi kyan hogayi...aap log tho mujhe ek buzurg ki tarha treat kar rahe hein!" He said while fake crying and hugging Meera.

She slowly patted his head and laughed at his silly behaviour. While Meera and Leher were busy teasing Rahul, Jharna just stood there admiring their bond. She always wanted to be part of such family. After all she's been through, she deserved such a loving family. But not in this way. But not at this cost.

While they were lost in the moment, they suddenly heard a voice. Voice that everyone fears, except for one.

-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-

What do you think will happen in the next chapter?
What is the cost that Jharna is paying?
What happened between Meera and Prem that led to her losing hope?
Find out in the next chapter!
Ab chapter Jo hogaya...thoda haso miyaan😏

thoda haso miyaan😏