8

MEERA POV

Things have been great between Prem and I. Though things were awkward at times, we tried our best to make each other comfortable and happy. I called my parents and told them about his behaviour change and they couldn't have been happier. I had always wondered what made him change and when I asked him that he just says "times change so do people." It felt like he was avoiding it but I trust him. Though it had been a month or so, I learnt to trust him, my husband.

Tomorrow is our third marriage anniversary and probably our first as a proper couple. This anniversary is going to be the best as this time we're there for each other. All the other anniversaries of ours went by with him in the office and me in the garden. None of us wished one another and just avoided each other the whole day. But this time will be special as we'll spend the whole day with each other.

I just came to a mall and bought a special gift for Prem for the special occasion. A beautiful chain with a small pendant with our initials engraved on it. This is the first gift I bought him and I want him to remember it forever.

Just as I was going to exit the mall, I bumped into someone. She looked pretty with flawless skin and silky hair. The things from her bag scattered on the floor due to us bumping. "I'm so sorry. Let me help you." I said and bent down to pick her belongings. She laughed and mumbled a small it's okay and took her bag. I got up from the floor and looked up to her things just to see a familiar face.

It was Anisha, Prem's old secretary. She had left the job because of pregnancy complications and the doctor had asked her to bed rest till the birth. She never joined back and we couldn't keep in touch too. Her husband still works in the company as Abhi's temporary secretary.

"Oh my god! Meera! How have you been?" She said while coming in for a hug. I gladly returned the hug while rubbing her back. "I'm absolutely fine and never been better. Tell me about you" I replied while smiling brightly and remembering the recent happiness in my life. "I see that you are finally free, huh?" She questioned in an excited manner which confused me. Free in the sense? I didn't get her words. "Free? What do you mean?" I chuckled awkwardly.

"You know, divorcing Prem sir and being free from the marriage?" Divorcing Prem? When was this? What does she mean? I wanted to get more things out of her mouth so I went along with her words. "Aahh...that! Yes, I'm finally free you know? It feels good!" I pretended to be happy on the outside while on the inside I was dying to know what made her think that things between me and Prem ended.

"That's great! You know, your dad setting that contract with Prem sir was really bad. He shouldn't have threatened Prem to love you." Threaten Prem to love me? He was forced to be like this with me? It was all fake? Tears slowly made their way into my eyes but I stopped them. I couldn't cry in front of someone just like that. I have to be strong now. "Now don't ask me how I know all of this because I left the company long ago and this happened like a month ago, don't forget that my husband is still working in the company." She winked and laughed which made me force out a laugh too.

"Yes...the contract. It was bad. I didn't expect a contract between them." I played along and she nodded while checking her phone. "Shit! I have to leave now, Meera. Looks like my little devil woke up. Meet you some other time!" She left while smiling as I waved a goodbye with a soft smile. The smile dropped as soon as she left. I was not able to think straight. All my thoughts were messed up and tangled. Did Prem really not want to improve our relationship? Was it all a lie? Why did my dad force him to love me?

-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-

The clock struck 12. It was our anniversary. A day to celebrate our pretend love. My real love and his pretend love. I was sitting on our bed, my mood spoiled since the time I had my last conversation of the day with Anisha. The door to our room opened wide revealing Prem with a bright smile. A pretend smile. He came closer and held my hand which were on my lap and said "Happy anniversary, biwi." His voice ever so soft.

I gave a small smile to make him not notice my dull mood. "Happy anniversary to you too, PremJi." My lips curled up but my eyes didn't change. My smile didn't reach till my eyes. For the first time since a month I was faking a smile in front of him. "I'll go change and then let's open the gift I bought for you. Okay?" I nodded my head with a smile as he left to the dressing room.

I got up from the bed and went near drawer beside the couch and opened it. It was the gift I bought for him. The gift I bought with love but turns out everything was a lie. While I was lost in my thoughts, Prem had already changed and climbed the right side of the bed. I looked at him and went and stood beside his sitting figure. I extended my hand and gave him his gift.

He tore the wrapping paper apart and opened the box which revealed a bright gold chain with our initials engraved. "This is so beautiful, biwi. Thank you so much." He said while pulling me close and rubbing my waist. The butterflies I used to get were long gone. I wanted to ask him and not delay the process. I put my hand on his chest and finally spoke, "can I ask you something?" Even the thought of asking him if he was faking everything made my throat hurt because of the tears I was holding back.

He nodded as an answer to my question. I continued, "What...What is the contract you made with my dad?" I finally said all those words out. My hands were trembling as the his hand that was on my waist dropped down. So it is true. He faked it. Everything was a lie. I was living in a lie. "H-how?" His voice came out as a whisper. "Care to explain, Mr. Prem?" I said while backing away from this touch. "Meera please don't go back like that. It hurts." He said while trying to come closer.

"Don't. Even. Try. Coming near me." I pointed my index finger at him and moved further away. "You are the one hurting? After faking everything for a month? After giving me false hopes for 30 days? You're hurt?" He looked down at his feet as he couldn't face me. "I need an explanation. Right. Now." I ordered once again. "Your father, he said if I don't start loving you...he'd, he'd cancel our partnership contract." How much more low could he get?

"So you used me? You used me, Prem?" I was hurt. More than anyone in that room. "No! Never! I didn't Meera. Trust me-"Don't even try to say trust! I've lost the trust in you the moment you confessed this." I interrupted him. "Meera, please. Think with a calm mind. Please." "I am thinking with a calm mind and I think, we need to...we need to take a break, Prem. Let US think with a calm mind." I said while leaving the room and going to sleep in dadi's room.

-•-•-•-•-•-•-•-

An update after ages 😭😭😭
So sorry for the inactivity. I was busy with some things. I'll be online from now on!
How was this chapter?!?!