86; Night Festival Part 1

Ning Jie grins at the emperor who was tending to his paperwork, then he suddenly piqued in front of him.

"Your imperial majesty let's go on a date together" 

The emperor nods he was gonna ask but as usual Ning jie beats him to it, "Night festival" 

The emperor said, Ning jie looks at him smiling. "Did you want to ask me? Was I too eager again hehe" 

"Jie Er, let's got to the night festival… together" 

Ning Jie froze for a moment but then smiled softly, this may be one of the few times that Ning Jie was not being his silly self. His heart feels elevated and mood calm he then leans over on the emperor's lap. "Okay", the emperor soon rested his hand on his head stroking his hair.

'Jie Er, I don't understand what you like about me. But I like your free spirit a lot. I want to smile so you can see it, laugh with you and be angry with you. But you'll never see it' 

There's a sadness reflects in the eyes of the emperor, "Jie Er" 

"Yes?" 

"What is my name?" 

Ning Jie turns facing the emperor, "Wei Zhao or rather my future hubby" he teases.

The emperor looks away, Ning Jie frowns but the moment he sees the tinge of red on the emperor's ear he grins deviously. "Aww, hubby is so mean," Ning Jie teases with a pout. 

The emperor froze his eyes and searched the entire room not daring look at Ning jie.

"I'm gonn—" 

A flower cake was soon placed in the mouth of Ning Jie, and the emperor looked at him. "Enjoy" 

Ning Jie stares at him blankly but then closes his eyes, yielding after all snacks are nice. 

Later Ning Jie returns home to get dressed for the night festival, Ning Yuan smiles as she sees her brother throwing clothes everywhere.

"Gege? What are you doing?" 

"Sorry Meimei, his imperial majesty is carrying me to the night festival so I'm preparing!" 

"Ah, can I come too? I have the perfect dress an–" 

"Sorry Meimei, but I want this to be a special night for the two of us so we can hang out some other time, right?" He asks with pleading eyes.

Ning Yuan froze, her finger twitched. She didn't know why but… she feels jealous… but can she deny her brother of his feelings? "...okay, enjoy… bring back souvenirs" 

Ning Jie smiles happily, "Yep! Who knows, maybe we'll be married by the end of the night hehe-Ap!" 

"Ning Jie! You mischievous son of mine! Where did you hide my pearls!" Madam Ning barged in.

Ning Jie flinches, he forgot he had hid his mother's pearl as a prank. "Ah mom" 

She looks around to see the mess then looks at him, "Ah didn't your father forbid you from loitering around with his imperial majesty?" She asks. 

Ning Jie blushes, his father strongly disagrees with the relationship but he really likes his imperial majesty. 

"Well, um…" 

"Aren't you gonna hurry before your brother comes to check on you?" 

"Huh?! Aren't you against it" 

"I've been young once too, rebellious even but Ning Jie even if wild not promiscuity before marriage!" She lectures coldly. 

Ning Jie smiles, Ning Yuan feels a strong anger towards her mother. Why not stop and lecture Ning Jie like always? 

"Don't worry mom, even if I try his imperial majesty his majesty looks like he practised celibacy so it will take a while before I can get through his shell," Ning Jie jokes.

"Or maybe you shouldn't brother… I mean it's his imperial majesty" 

Madam looks at her daughter in silence, before looking at Ning Jie. "Here, wear these and hurry!" She ushered him.

Ning Jie nods then runs to change then quickly dresses before coming out, the madam Ning smiles upon seeing her precious child. Dress in light colours with beautiful leaf patterns on the chest area, her son was a bit taller than her so she is reminded of how he has grown from the troublesome puppy stealing kid to a beautiful young ger. 

"Now sit down, let me do your ugly rat nest hair!" She scolds. 

He went to sit as she gently brushed his hair down then pulled a half ponytail, she then took out her hairpin from her hair and put it into his hair. "There, now you look like a human" 

Taking a bag she gave it to him, "go back and come back before promiscuous hours!" 

Ning Jie then laughs goofily as he runs, "I won't bye, bye!" 

"You little–" 

Ning Yuan looks at the back of her brother and wonders why can't it be her? 

Why must it be Ning Jie? She tries her best she really does but she could never surpass him. Grades, cultivating, friends and now even love.

"Yuan, do you resent your brother?" The madam asks in a cold and neutral tone.

"What do you mean?" 

"I've been noticing for a while now, sometimes I couldn't put my finger on your attitude ad 9f late whenever it's you and the emperor there is a glint in your eyes that spark pale but there, you'd often seem angry whenever Ning Jie came around but you hit it so well didn't you? But as they say a mother knows." 

"I don't know what your talking about how could I ever resent my br–" 

"Do you love the emperor?" 

Ning Yuan flinches, of course she doesn't… right? 

All she wants to do is spend more time with him, he gives off a type off comfort that no one else does this can only happen when it's just the two of them, he appreciates her tea, listens and isn't all about rebellion and pranks they can read books together he may not be much of a talker but he gets the point and agrees is it too much to ask that it just be the two of them… together… alone. 

It was then did Ning Yuan realise, upon looking at her daughter's face she got her confirmation. 

"Yuan for the sake of the relationship you both have do not approach the emperor, he doesn't feel that way about you" 

"You're wrong I don't feel that way we can still–" 

"Yuan this may seem harsh, but it's the truth if this keeps on going. You'll only grow bitter towards your brother and before I can let that happen I'll stop it here." Madam Ning turns away.

She would rather have harmony than hatred. She loves both of her children. This will save Ning Yuan from the future that's to come…

"You're so unfair muqin!" 

*STAB* 

"Guck!" 

The Madam widened her eyes seeing her daughter's hand through her chest, shocked and paralyzed she slowly turned her head to the crimson eyes of Ning Yuan.