chapter 2 Confusing mini dark lords

Summary:
Harry somehow convinces Tom that he had always been in the compartment and has no idea what the other boy is talking about.
Harry gets sorted.

Chapter Text
(Harry POV) So he was in the past. Why do these things always happen to him? He needed a plan. He needed to act as if he were a transfer student.

“Who are you!!” Tom demanded, Harry realized he had been quiet for far too long when Riddle put more pressure on the wand against his throat.

“Harry Evans, I’ve just transferred from... being homeschooled!” The idea took its time materializing in his brain but felt like a stroke of genius on Harry’s part, using his mother’s last name, hopefully, no one will find any links from him to the Potters. Harry wondered what the current Potters were like? No point finding out. He was hoping to get back home as soon as possible.

“Well then, Harry Evans,” the name sounded distasteful on his tongue, filled with aggression “Can you please explain how you got into my compartment?”

“Uhm, the..door?” Riddle gave him a look that made it seem as though Harry had murdered his parents.

“There are enchantments on the door that prevent anyone from entering. Try again, Evans,”

“Well, there were no enchantments when I came in here.” Harry decided to pull one of Riddle’s own cards, manipulation.

*

Tom was conflicted. He could have simply made a mistake and missed the boy when he came into the compartment, though the boy wasn’t someone you’d miss in a crowd, disillusionment charms do go a long way if used correctly. He could have been there, asleep, the entire time and Tom wouldn’t have noticed.

“Were you disillusioned?” Straight to the point, unlike Tom normally was, often taking conversations in many directions before revealing what he wanted.

What he wanted right now was for the mysterious boy to leave.

“Yes I was, I-uh don’t really like when people talk to me too much,” Tom considered invading Evans’ mind but he hadn’t tested his legilimency skills enough yet, he didn’t think he could use his charm to get out of jail for breaking some kids mind.

“What year are you?” Tom inquired, the boy could pass for a fourth-year or maybe an extra-lanky third-year

“Just going into my fifth year, why do you ask?” This kid was 14!?

*

Harry thought he was being rather calm for someone who had been thrown backward in time and was now talking face to face with a younger (and frankly better looking) version of his parents murderer. He would never admit it if he got back to his friends but he was actually looking forward to the small amount of time he was going to spend in the past. I mean, you can’t be the chosen one, rumoured liar and crazy man, if the people calling you those things had no idea who you were. Some of them weren’t even alive!

”Just curious,” Riddle had replied to the inquiry.

To his surprise, Riddle made no move to kick him out of the compartment. So he sat silently. Then it hit him, where was his luggage and Hedwig? The bird had been in the owl compartment on the train when he got on it in his original time. Would she still be there? Or was it just Harry who’d travelled back in time?

He glanced up at the rack which had held his things before hand. Thankfully, it was still there in his beaten trunk. He was lucky he hadn’t had his named inscribed in it like many others Harry had seen.

The train ride took what felt like a hundred years. Maybe Riddle had expected him to leave? Who knows.

He had begun to mull over why he had been sent here. He decided it was something to do with defeating Voldemort before he was Voldemort. It made sense, after all. Why else would he be here?

*

Harry rode the boats with the first years. Apparently they had been expecting a ‘Harry Evans’ to transfer there from being homeschooled that year. When it was Dumbledore, not McGonagall who greeted the in the small room, the extent of what was happening really hit him. He hoped he wasn’t taking the place of some actual Harry Evans that existed at some point, but he rathered to not think about that.

His name was called after all the first years, the headmaster (Dippet, apparently) explained he was going into fifth year before he was sorted.

The whole ceremony seemed a lot more daunting when he knew for sure that he wasn’t supposed to be there.

”Time traveller eh?” Oh dear was the hat going to tell everyone and get him sent back!? He was enjoying having some time without being the chosen one!

”Not to worry, I won’t tell, now my future self was a bit soft on you, time for you to be in your right place. Better be,”

”SLYTHERIN”