Chapter 10: Birthday truths

Tom's birthday was on new years eve, so, instead of celebrating a new year, Harry decided to spend it celebrating Tom's birthday.

Harry decided to buy Tom a diary identical to the one from his second year, it was funny then, but, seemed a bit odd when Harry actually gave it to him on his birthday.

"Happy birthday Tom!" Harry said holding out the gift, they were sitting in the common room and the gift was wrapped in sparkly wrapping paper,

"You didn't have to love, you know I hate my birthday," he paused, grabbing the gift out of Harry's hands "It marks the day my foolish mother died and left me in that godforsaken orphanage"

"Well, to me, it marks the day that the best thing to ever happen to me came into the world!!!" Tom smiled, Harry was so sweet.

* (Tom POV)

When he opened the gift he was slightly shocked to find an expensive leather diary with his name engraved on it. He thought Harry was poor because of his muggle mother leaving him with some dodgy wizards? Where did he get the money for this?

The shock must have been evident on his face because Harry quickly said,

"Before you ask, I have some things I need to tell you."

*

It had been a few minutes and Harry had brought them to a secluded room with no portraits (a boy's toilet), he said he wanted to keep away from the 'prying eyes' but that just made Tom nervous about what it was that Harry wanted to tell him. He couldn't break up with him. Tom wouldn't let that happen. Ever.

"Okay so this might sound crazy but you have to trust me ok?"

"I will always trust you, darling," Tom's normally smooth voice was cracking, he was really worried now.

Harry took a deep breath.

"I'm a time traveller from the future, except I came here on accident, I was just wishing some specific things and, well.....yeah,"

"So that's why you created that ay to go to the future." Tom whispered, "You're going to leave me,"

A salty tear ran down Tom's face,

"You have to understand Tom, my friends are there, my godfather- sure I don't miss them but my aunt, uncle and cousin are there too," Harry was crying too at this point. Neither boy wanted Harry to leave but they knew that he would have to, god knows what he'd mess up by being here.

"Not your parents?"

"They're dead, Voldemort killed them Halloween of 1981,"

"Voldemort's the name I'm going to use when I-" Tom choked on his words,  "Oh Harry, how can you stand me? How can you stand being in the same room as me!"

"Because you're not him,"

There was silence for a few minutes as the facts settled in. Tom never doubted Harry once, and that was what was making it so hard.

"I'm coming with you." Tom's voice was clear now he'd made his decision,

"Tom you can't, you're a key aspect to the past!"

"I'll find a way, I'm not letting you leave. You're one of the only good things to ever happen to me, and I can't be without you. But I can't let you be unhappy either."

With that, he walked off, probably in the direction of the library.