Chapter 4: It was 100% just hot in the library

Oh dear. This is why Harry should’ve brought the Marauder’s Map.

He turned hesitantly to find himself face to face with a smirking Tom Riddle.

”Oh for fucks sake,” To be honest, Harry hadn’t realised he’d spoken that part out loud

”Now Evans, that’s no way to speak to a prefect,” Riddle said reaching out to take the book in Harry’s hands, “I didn’t take you for the type who’d be interested in time travel, Evans,”. How could he be so condescending yet still so attractive, Harry pondered, wait did he just think that a future dark lord was attractive?

Riddle stepped closer to him,

”Now, tell me the truth, why’re you not upset that your guardians passed away? It is a thought that’s been driving me crazy for days,” when Harry made no move to answer he sighed taking another step closer, looming over Harry, menacingly.

“Awh you think about me?” Harry teased, probably not the best move when your facing someone who you know will become a murderer within that school year. He wasn’t sure exactly when Myrtle died but he knew it would be this school year, and he felt a need to save her. Stupid saving people thing.

”I think about you everyday Evans, however, coming from me, that can never be a good thing,” this guy really was a budding psychopath, “Why, are you not upset!”

(abuse mentioned here)

“They were kind of abusive,” Harry just blurted it out, I mean, he still had the same body, and the Dursleys really were abusive, so he wasn’t lying. Tom backed away after that, obviously shocked, he hoped that this wasn’t going to be used against him.

* (Tom POV)

”I’m sorry I mentioned it,” he felt so stupid now. It was obvious in the way that Evans was too small for his age and always made sure to eat lots, quickly. The way he had flinched when someone next to him in class rose their hand speedily. Yes Evans’ guardians were dead now, but they had been abusive. No wonder Harry was happy they were dead. “If you want to avoid getting detention, then you can walk back with me,”

(no more mentions of it after this)

He started to walk away, not wanting Evans to mistake his gesture for kindness, or (merlin forbid) friendship.

To his surprise Harry did walk back with him, though his legs had to work two times as hard to keep up with Tom’s swift strides.

* (Harry POV)

As he lay in bed, Harry wondered if he’d imagined the gesture that Tom had made. Maybe the mini dark lord wasn’t always a mini dark lord. Harry couldn’t get the book he wanted, Tom had grabbed it, so he would have to retrieve it later on. Hopefully Riddle had held onto it, he didn’t fancy another visit to the restricted section. He’d had enough of those in his life.

Harry felt lost, the Slytherin dorms weren’t as homely as the Gryffindor ones. Plus Harry was beginning to miss his friends and Sirius, if he was there any longer he felt like he might even start missing Snape!

He wondered if his friends were missing him, or if he had changed the future so the they didn’t even remember him at all. This is why people need to listen to Hermione, he zoned out when she was talking about time travel and now he was stuck in the past. Time turners only go backwards so there was no point even trying to get one of those. He was well and truly stuck.

Harry sighed into his pillow, he wished he had someone there for him, without all his friends and loved ones, he just felt empty. Casting a silencing charm around his bed in case of nightmares, he tried to sleep.

*

The next day was a Saturday, so after breakfast Harry followed Tom into the library.

”Did you happen to keep that book that I was trying to get,” Tom glanced up, he had clearly expected Harry to come and ask about the book,

”You mean this book?” Tom reached into his bag and brought out the book Harry had been trying to steal the night before

”Yes, that book,”

”I’ll give it to you if you tell me why you want it,” Tom was back to his usual self then

”It’s for a personal project,”

”What type of personal project?”

”I’m researching time turners and if the effect could be reversed?” Harry was sure that he didn’t sound perfectly truthful in that sentence, but that is pretty much what he’s trying to do, after all.

”Okay then,” Tom handed the book over to Harry hesitantly, their hands brushed lightly against each other and Harry felt his face get a bit warmer.

Dear merlin, did he just blush because of Tom Riddle? It was obviously just a one time thing. He was just happy to get the book back, plus it was ridiculously warm in the library. Yeah, definitely.