Chapter 21: DA! (kinda)

Harry was sitting at the Gryffindor table in the great hall with a piece of toast in his mouth when the owls came in with The Daily Prophet. Unfolding it he saw today's biggest headline

… the Ministry has now passed Educational Decree Number Twenty-three, which creates the new position of Hogwarts High Inquisitor. This is an exciting new phase in the Minister's plan to get to grips with what some are calling the falling standards at Hogwarts. The Inquisitor will have the power to inspect her fellow educators and make sure that they are coming up to scratch. Professor Umbridge has been offered this position in addition to her own teaching post and we are delighted to say that she has accepted…

To be honest, Harry thought that having an extra person in charge at Hogwarts would be useful; though Umbridge, who was already a member of staff with lots on her plate, would not have been his top choice. What sort of power would this even give her?

*

“This is bull-”

“Ronald!”

“Sorry Hermione, but it’s got to be said, Umbridge is a terrible teacher, imagine how much worse it’s gonna be when she starts forcing her classroom rules all over the school!”

The trio were walking to their first class, it was Care of Magical Creatures so at least they could discuss the news on the way there. The class wasn’t the same without Hagrid. Not the same as in fewer infirmary visits and animals you’re more likely to come across.

“I would have to agree with you Ronald, Umbridge has too much power, no matter how ‘kind’ her intentions are,” A voice said from over Harry’s shoulder,

“Oh, Tom, I didn’t know you were taking this class,” Harry opened his mouth to say something but Hermione rushed in before him.

“I wanted to take runes and arithmancy but they aren’t running arithmancy this year because nobody wanted to take it,”

“But this class runs at the same time as runes?”

“Apparently runes would be too advanced to take after missing over a year of it even though I proved my skill set was satisfactory,” he paused, sighing at this great injustice “So I’m taking Care of Magical Creatures and Divination, I will have to continue my other studies in my own times,” Harry and Hermione broke out into grins at the thought of Tom studying; Harry because he knew how pretty Tom looked whilst studying and Hermione because she’d never met such a good looking guy who was also studious. Though she wasn’t actively pursuing Tom like some other girls in their year, she was still allowed to appreciate him.

“That’s a shame, at least you’ll be with Harry and Ron,”

“I thought Divination was with the Ravenclaws?” Ron said dumbfounded

“They were complaining about all of my death omens,”

“You’ve been getting death omens!!?”

“Oh don’t tell me you believe in all that rubbish Tom?” The light in Hermione’s eyes dimmed

“With an actual seer, divination can be very important, I myself haven’t got the gift but I still find it fascinating,” Tom seemed to have offered a new point of view for Hermione and she was lost for words right up until they got to class where she promptly began explaining the lifecycle of the creature they were looking at that lesson.

*

The next day brought Umbridge’s assessment of all the teachers. McGonagall fought right back at her but Professor Trelawney wasn’t as brave.

“Go on then.”

“I’m sorry?”

“Predict something,”