Chapter 18: Umbitch

DADA was Harry’s favourite class. Though his teachers had not always been the best, he still managed to keep a good grade without trying. He still tried, of course, because he loved the frustration and adoration on Tom’s face when Harry was always better than him, even if it was just a little bit. Harry was naturally academic, but to keep Ron (and previously the Dursleys) happy, he had always dimmed down; his teachers knew this, but couldn’t find a means to make him go that extra step. The means happened to be tall, with curled brown hair and fanciful bister eyes. Tom was happy when Harry studied, and that meant more kisses so he was willing to put in the work.

They would have DADA that day, the new teacher didn’t seem too thrilling but at least they would be learning something.

*

Students entered the classroom and began to take their seats. Gryffindors sat on one side of the room whilst Slytherins sat on the other. This year, the room was decorated like a nursery when the parents really wanted you to know that their baby was a girl.

“Welcome to defence against the dark arts, I know you haven’t had the best education due to the lack of… Ministry approved staff, however, now that I’m here we shall be doing things the right way” when she smiled her toad-like face made her look like a villain in a comic book, except she was just there to distract the hero, she wasn’t actually important. “Wands away please,” there were some mutters of protest but Hermione was the one to actually speak out against it. She raised her hand politely and Professor Umbridge gestured at her to speak.

“If you don’t mind me asking, Professor, how are we supposed to learn defence if we aren’t using our wands?”

“Well, why would we need to defend ourselves? This school is perfectly safe,”

“Yeah, tell that to Harry, he’s fought a troll, a three-headed dog, a basilisk, multiple professors, escaped prisoners, dementors, he-who-must-not-be-named, that isn’t including all the tasks for the Triwizard tournament!” For god's sake Ron, he was Harry’s best mate, but that doesn’t mean he wasn’t a bit thick sometimes.

“Ah yes, Mr Potter, there's no need to worry about any dark lords, children, Harry here is just a liar and delusional,” There was no need to look to his left to see what Tom was doing, Harry knew he would be ready to kill her. Take the teen from the murder victim, he’ll still kill someone eventually. Not today though.

“I’m sorry Professor but I’ve stopped saying that anymore, I think I hallucinated it,”

“No talking out of line Mr Potter, that’s a day’s detention with me,”

“Yes, Professor Umbridge,”

“What did I just say! 2 Nights of detentions!”

They were told to open their textbooks and begin reading, but Harry and Tom had read this already. They’d actually read it back in Tom’s time, it was THAT outdated. So they sent a look in each other's direction shared a nod, and Tom raised his hand.

“Yes, Mr?”

“Tom, Professor, Tom Richards,”

“And what do you need Mr Richards, surely this is a simple exercise?”

“Well I and Harry were reading in the library last night, and we’ve already read this book and the two sequels that come after it,”

“Impossible, read it again, I don’t know what Mr Potter had blackmailed you with but you cannot simply read three books in one night and understand them all, the sequels are well above your age group, Mr Potter that's a week's worth of detentions now,”

They ended up just pretending to read, Harry was writing notes in the margins of his copy so it would be updated to the modern-day; Tom was practising legilimency, he’d managed to get it safe so now he was figuring out how to get through minds dodging the barriers he’d taught Harry to put in his head. Most of the hidden memories were of them so it was nice to see In what way he’d honour them.

*

Harry snuck Tom into Gryffindor tower that night. He got lonely in the evenings so the company of his boyfriend was always much appreciated.

“McGonagall gave me a biscuit today,”

“What type of biscuit sweetheart?” It was well past midnight and they were sitting in an armchair by the fire. Harry was sitting in Tom’s lap, legs draped over the arms of the chair whilst Tom ran a hand through his hair.

“It was a digestive, I prefer bourbons though,”

“We only have custard creams on the Slytherin table,” Harry giggled at that, he was probably tired if he was laughing at custard creams. Biscuits were to always be taken seriously, and eaten with a hot cup of tea.

“Hermione’s been knitting clothes to try and free the house-elves,”

“Does she know it depresses them to the point they don’t even eat, move or sleep anymore?”

“I’ll have a talk with her about it,”

“Off to bed now,” he kissed Harry on the forehead and put him on the ground.

*

Sneaking through the shadows he made his way to the Slytherin common room. Surprisingly, when he got back to the common room Malfoy was there waiting for him. Sitting there, arms crossed, like a parent probably would when their kid stayed out too late. Tom wouldn’t know, but it felt like an accurate description.

“Where have you been Richards?”

“Nowhere of your concern Malfoy,” He stood in Tom’s path, making it impossible to get to bed.

“You act all high and mighty, but your just a nobody, I’m a Malfoy I have status, I will not be pushed around by a nobody who talks to the enemy!”

“You are nothing compared to me, you have no power, no status. I have done better than you at every spell you’ve tried, every spell you will ever try. I will not be receiving discipline from someone whose entire personality is that their daddy has money. Your father didn’t earn that money, the Malfoy family haven’t worked for generations. You get by on old money and the little connections your ancestors fought hard for.” He took a deep breath stared directly into his eyes and used legilimency on him. Tom knew every one of his secrets, every little thing he hid from his parents, his friends, and his enemies; and he let Draco know that he was doing this, leaving a mark in every memory he saw. When he left the other’s mind, he saw that Draco was shaking.

Upon realising it was over, Draco fell to his knees and begged Tom not to tell anyone

“I won't, as long as you do me one, little, thing..”

* Harry POV

It was the next day and Harry was now fully rested. He was walking through the hallway between classes when Luna Lovegood stood in his way.

“Uh, sorry Luna, I need to get to class,”

“You won’t be late. I just need to tell you about Tom,”

“What about him?”

“You have a lot of nargles Harry, they normally gather around people who are in love,”

“Does Tom have lots of nargles?” He said, evidently knowing what she was hinting at

“This is where you run off because you realize you’re going to be late,” He ran off to class, Luna knew what she was talking about and he didn’t wish to be on McGonagall's bad side. Though he wished she'd finished telling him about nargles. He hadn't heard of them, maybe he should do some research